Dogs (why would you do this?)

Sponsored Links
Im not sure I’d be likely to try that…..
A relation of mine has an overbred French bulldog that suffers with it's anal glands blocking periodically, amongst its other issues.

He has the choice of taking it to the vet to have it's glands cleared, which involves sticking a finger up the dog's bum and squeezing the glands a bit like a spot, and having the vet charge him £150 for the privilege or doing it himself for free. He does it himself, which i find revolting, but it doesn't seem to bother the dog one bit.

Sponsored Links
Since lockdown a lot of people got dogs for the companionship.

Unfortunately it was not always the best decision, not always well thought out or the right thing to do and now they have gone back to work and find the have a dog that they either need to rehouse or dump.
This has led to animal sanctuaries being more overfull than normal, this also led to irresponsible breeders also selling dogs to anyone and everyone - even those that are unsuitable for owning dogs and people that just ignore all the good advice on how to be a responsible dog owner.

When walking my 2 in my local park mine are always on lead yet despite numerous signs telling dog owners about the legal requirements and park rules to keep them on lead many do not, they ignore it and let them run riot with little control over them.
Then they argue and get offensive to anyone that tries to remind them of the rules/law.

Letting the dog run out of the car in the car park is a common one, total lack of control of fluffles the furbaby.
As cute ads my dogs are considered to be, I never let them off lead to play around unless they are in a caged area where they cannot harm anyone else of any other dogs.
It's a pity others do not do the same, but then they must know better than me.

It's a pity others do not do the same, but then they must know better than me.

Now there's a good boy, man.
Credit to you.

Sadly, it's broken Britain is fast becoming a cesspit in more and more areas of England.

I'm sure many more would not break the rules, any rules is zero tolerance was in place and enforced but we can't do that as the PM
does not follow the rules and this is an excuse for some to do the same.

And, again!
Why is it that everytime this happens, the house or garden it happened in always looks like some kind of rubbish dump?
This happens far too often, it's high time something was done to prevent it. But, I don't know what.

One shouldn't generalise however I'm about to do just that. Driving the other day and I turned into a junction. A young guy was waiting to cross and if you were asked to draw a 'ned' as we refer to them in Scotland, you would draw this guy. He was bent over. Why? Cause he was holding his dog by the collar (no lead) until he could cross. I don't need to give you any guesses as to what type of dog it was ...

I totally agree more needs done. There's an undercover tv doc on soon about illegal/dangerous dog breeding in the UK.

One shouldn't generalise however I'm about to do just that. Driving the other day and I turned into a junction. A young guy was waiting to cross and if you were asked to draw a 'ned' as we refer to them in Scotland, you would draw this guy. He was bent over. Why? Cause he was holding his dog by the collar (no lead) until he could cross. I don't need to give you any guesses as to what type of dog it was ...

I totally agree more needs done. There's an undercover tv doc on soon about illegal/dangerous dog breeding in the UK.
What better accessory for an 'ard chav than an 'ard dog, innit.
Mukking forons.

Like many thinks, nothing can (legally) be done about these problems.
People train dogs to be dangerous. Most dogs are trained to be happy, comforting, loyal companions.
Owners were probably recently boasting how brave and strong their dog was, meaning, untrained and aggressive.

Do we know any of this though? Its a big jump to assume that just because someone lives in a modest home, they have a fighting dog.

Very sad situation though.

Do we know any of this though? Its a big jump to assume that just because someone lives in a modest home, they have a fighting dog.

Very sad situation though.
We don't, but most dogs can be trained to be good dogs. And dogs usually become aggressive as a result of abuse.
I've met people who took pleasure in abusing their dog, and felt that their actions were totally OK.
But as you say, we don't know what happened here.

I'll probably come across as unpopular here, but we walk a fair amount in the hills/fields around us. We frequently encounter unwelcomed approaches by dogs -- 9/10 of them are probably completely friendly and mean no harm, but every single time we're out there's a dog bounding about off its lead. Most owners just assume you're a dog person and make little effort in retrieving uncontrolled dog.

I currently have a bruise to my upper thigh and my wife has a ripped coat from over-excitable dogs. We like to keep the peace so don't make a fuss, but years of this have put me off having one. As a child I was pushed over and barked at by a dog on a beach and the owner didn't care. Took me a long time to recover from this.

We tend to go on walks which are fairly sparsely populated, but depending on where we start and if we end up partly on a trail we can come across quite a few.

I once heard a very good response

(Dog bounds up to granny and small child, jumps up at child and pushes it over. Child cries. Owner laughs)

Granny: get your dog off

Owner: He's only playing, he won't hurt her

Granny: If he doesn't, I won't cave his head in with a brick

(Owner stops laughing)

Sponsored Links
Back