Downstairs Toilet Lighting

nsw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I’ve had a toilet installed under my stairs. I’m now trying to sort out the lighting. Previously it was a cupboard with no lighting in it.

The problem is that I can’t take the light from the lighting circuit of the downstairs lights due to it having a different height ceiling to the rest of the downstairs and no way of getting the cable from an existing light.

The easiest way that I can envisage getting power for a light is to spur off the downstairs ring main and have a fused light switch. Is there any reason that I can’t do this?

Thanks for any pointers on this?

Sponsored Links
The problem is that I can’t take the light from the lighting circuit of the downstairs lights due to it having a different height ceiling to the rest of the downstairs and no way of getting the cable from an existing light.
Does your consumer unit happen to reside in your new toilet?
If so, another option might be to wire a new radial circuit into your consumer unit for the new light. It can share the existing breaker for your downstairs lights, thereby keeping them all on the same circuit.

The easiest way that I can envisage getting power for a light is to spur off the downstairs ring main and have a fused light switch. Is there any reason that I can’t do this?
No, that’s fine.
Use a 3 amp switched fused connection unit. It’s unusual to have a FCU as a light switch, but I can’t see a problem with that. Wire with 2.5mm twin and earth from the ring main up to the supply side of the FCU. From the load side of the FCU you can use either 1.5mm or 1mm twin and earth to the light.
How do you intend to break into the ring main?

The consumer unit is just down the hall way so I could run the cable under the floor boards. Any idea how much an electrician would charge for this. I wouldn't be comfortable doing anything involving the consumer unit!

In terms of breaking into the ring. I'd put a junction box in the ring, the ring runs just past the entrance in the hall. Is this the correct way?

One last question is there any limit on the type of light it can be? I was thinking of a low energy (16W) bathroom light, the type you see in screwfix.

The consumer unit is just down the hall way so I could run the cable under the floor boards. Any idea how much an electrician would charge for this. I wouldn't be comfortable doing anything involving the consumer unit!
Get 2 or 3 quotes.
Seek recommendations from friends, and see link below.
http://www.partp.co.uk/common/search.asp

In terms of breaking into the ring. I'd put a junction box in the ring, the ring runs just past the entrance in the hall. Is this the correct way?
Yes, that is one acceptable way of doing it. Use a 30 Amp junction box. It has to remain accessible for inspection and testing.

One last question is there any limit on the type of light it can be?
Not in your intended location. It’s down to personal choice.

I was thinking of a low energy (16W) bathroom light, the type you see in screwfix.
That’s OK, and environmentally friendly to boot :D

Sponsored Links
I would go for an unswitched FCU in a discrete location not too far from the ring. You might even be able to cut the ring cable and get both ends into it thereby eliminating the junction box. If there's not enough slack for this, consider disconnecting the cable at one end, taking it to the FCU instead and running a new length from the FCU to complete the ring again. Did that make sense?

The advantage of the separate FCU is that you can connect other low-powered stuff besides your light. How about an extractor fan. :) :) :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back