Installing light in downstairs toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am installing some downlighters in a downstairs toilet, but it is extremely difficult to get to the lighting circuit so I am going to spur off the kitchen radial instead. There is a socket on the other side of the toilet wall. But what I am wondering is, because the downstairs toilet is not a bathroom can I mount the spur inside the toilet room directly behind the kitchen socket?

Sponsored Links
are you saying take it from the kitchen ring main?? i.e plug sockets.

if so you can but......

it sounds like it could be a messy job going through the wall.... what if wall crumbles.... if it's an old house?

can't you get to the wiring by pulling floor boards up above light.

what about the existing wiring.... how will you disable it?

and if you try to disable it you may take out others in the radial light circuit.... unless it is the last in the chain.

also don't forget to use a pull cord system and 1mm twin and earth.

look at the downlighter box to check for zones covered by lights.

make sure bathroom (zones 0 - 3 ) is on the box.... because of water.

Yes I was thinking of taking it from the kitchen circuit, though it is a radial, not a ring. Going through the wall would be the easiest (and neatest) option. It is an old house but walls are sound.
Pulling floorboards up would also mean lifting carpets, something I want to try to avoid.
Have got a pullcord and cable.
Lights are rated for bathrooms.

Also, I was initially going to put 4 fittings up, but I think 2 would provide more than enough light, what do you think?
They are 35W lamps.

Sponsored Links
hmmmm ..... sounds dodgy,

your kitchen should really be a ring main as the power that is consumed there is probably the highest in the house due to fridges, freezers, washing machines etc.

the cable might catch fire due to it not being a ring circuit.

i'd say 'no' to your suggestion due to this.

wait and see what other people suggest.

best option i'm afraid is the floorboards up and wire the downlighters in parallel using the existing cable and ceiling rose (if installed).

Sorry, should have mentioned that the appliances are on a different circuit. The radial circuit is just for general kitchen sockets.

SAINTSIMON said:
the cable might catch fire due to it not being a ring circuit.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

@ OP, your best bet is to do it right, and supply the lights off a local lighting circuit. Is there currently any lighting in your WC?

Where there's a will there's a way.

Currently no lighting in there at all. I know it should come from the lighting circuit, but it a great deal of hassle and do not know if it is worth it.

It would be easier just to leave the door open for a bit of light when I go in there. Missus probably would not be too happy sitting on the throne with the door wide open mind!

Why are we talking bathroom zones? This is a WC is it not? Not a bathroom.

Why a pull cord? Again - it's a WC. You are fitting an FCU to the wall arn't you, why would you consider that ok, but not a switch?

Nothing wrong with supplying from the socket circuit, but from the lights would be far better.

SAINT - "Catch Fire" is a little strong - The circuit may well be perfectly constructed and protected correctly as a radial.

Yes it is simply a WC.

Fitting a pullcord rather than a switch simply through personal choice.

So a FCU inside the WC would be ok? I thought it would be but needed to check.

Do you think two 35W lamps would be sufficiant light?

Thanks lads.

I have not heard of these CFL's before, sounds like a good option even though I have already bought the halogens. How much do they go for?

since you're going to have to drill holes for the downlighters then it's easy enough to stick a hand up and feel for nearby wires.. one of them should be a lighting circuit.. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back