Installing light in downstairs toilet

Gone one better, I pulled the ceiling down to get a good look around and there is nowt up there. Apart from a few dozen spiders and wotnot.

Sponsored Links
Generally if putting lights on a socket circuit the best option is to use the FCU as the lightswitch. This makes it more obvious that the light isn't on the lighting circuit.

Obviously you can't do that if using a pull cord but you can at least put the FCU near the body of the pull cord switch.

Did not think of doing that. That is a good idea, at least anyone going there in the future will know whats what.

Thanks plug.

I'm probably going to be controversial, but why should an FCU be fitted for a simple single lamp circuit, that is going to be live for only a few minutes at a time?

I would would just fit a 1mm cable to the back of any nearby socket. Its no different to extending a lighting circuit at a junction box above the ceiling.

Sponsored Links
GET OUT!!! and don't darken the electrical forum again until you have qualified and gained some common sense...

if you put 1mm cable into the back of the nearest socket, then you have a cable that can only safely take about 11A - 16A ( depending on installation method and de-rating factors.. ), that is on a circuit that can supply 32A without tripping..

that's double the max of the cable and a fault at the light fitting will melt the cable and possibly start a fire...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back