emergency lighting diagram

We always wire it so the NEON is permanently on - we add a sticker to the switch saying ' if neon is unlit please report to maintainance'

I can't see any reason or logic for doing that.

Emergency lights are fitted with neons and they are supposed to be inspected daily (or is it weekly) to ensure they are on, all as required by BS 5266. And if the neons are not clearly visible the the installation does not comply.

Surely if the Neon is lit then that is confirmation that the Em lights are on , a lit Neon is visible

Sponsored Links
Do they do illuminous printer tape :idea:

There were once upon a time things called BetaLights that came in many different shapes. They were glass envelopes filled with tritium gas and coated on the inside with a flourescent material that glowed with the beta particle radiation from the tritium. You could get them as flat panels for back lighting labels.

The neon is not indicating that the light is on, it is indicating that the emergency fitting is functinal. When running on emergency power the neon is off.

Yes thats my understanding too - the neon on confirms the emergency lights are charging - neon off confirms the emergency light is working on battery therefore I dont see a problem with the NEON being lit to show all working as it should and NEON unlit to show emergency lights on backup

I appreciate your comments btw

Sponsored Links
is the purpose of that drawing, when the emergency lights are put into test mode, the LED will be OFF, wouldnt it be on with the supply off the mains supply to the switch going across the link to the LED.??

or how does it work?

barnies";p="1860666 said:
is the purpose of that drawing, when the emergency lights are put into test mode, the LED will be OFF, wouldnt it be on with the supply off the mains supply to the switch going across the link to the LED.??

or how does it work?[/quote

It works because the Neon would lose the Neutral as the neutral is taken from the load side of the keyswitch

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back