Everest

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having looked / researched into a possible climb up (getting back to fitness and having climbed to 17000ft before I became poorly), I was pretty shocked by what's in store.

The climb is difficult.... that's a given. The corpses that have failed isn't an issue... but the stories behind a few is. It would appear that one route (Northern Face approach) has a marker called Green boots

I have no idea if he or David Sharp are still up there in the death zone (over 8000 metres), but I suspect they are - I think you become part of the mountain if you succumb to the conditions up there.

What I cannot understand, is that they may of been saved. Without being there, I can agree that they may not have been saveable, but to pass dying men in pursuit of a mountain top is shocking.

I just couldn't leave someone and if it endangered my life, I'd do whatever I could to give them peace for a long as possible. Screw getting to the top then..... go back down and try again.

Sponsored Links
About 150 bodies are littered on the slopes of Everest. Seems a bit ghoulish to even want to hike past that.
Never mind the stupidness of wanting to climb a rock in the first place.

And also the waste of money. You would be better off giving your £40k to a childrens charity instead of using it to fund an ego trip.

I walk past a cemetery once a week on my way to the pub. 4 times the amount of bodies in there.... :rolleyes:

What your point?

Oh, so you assume I'm not doing it for charity then? Even with £70k costs, I can donate £100k. I doubt Ill get that by running round the cemetery 100 times. :D

Sponsored Links
What I cannot understand, is that they may of been saved. Without being there, I can agree that they may not have been saveable, but to pass dying men in pursuit of a mountain top is shocking.

I just couldn't leave someone and if it endangered my life, I'd do whatever I could to give them peace for a long as possible. Screw getting to the top then..... go back down and try again.

Isn't it a case of virtual suicide to attempt a rescue,I'm guessing here that most of the dead are up on the highest slopes and the actual time spent at the summit is minutes because they have to get down to a camp to survive the night's.

Never mind the stupidness of wanting to climb a rock in the first place.

I happen to like climbing 'rocks'. It's quite narrow minded to assume someone is stupid because they something you don't. Mind you, that does sum you up really. :D Laughing stock of the CC, and a general annoyance in GD forum.

Glad to know I'm popular. :mrgreen:

Before you gasmen got to the cc you were the laughing stock of the plumbing forum. :LOL:

Yes enyam. My point was forsaking a summit attempt (eg 5 hours for the last 100m vertical climb) if a fellow person needs comfort in their last minutes / hours slightly lower down the upper slopes.

MisterD,

I am meeting a man on Weds who has done Everest and apart from raising money for charity found it to be an 'experience of a lifetime' - and for once the phrase is apt.

Anything you would like me to ask him?

I heard something recently about climbersnow have to come down with Xkg of rubbish - did you see that anywhere?

Why don't you go to a hospice and comfort someone there in their last moments who deserves it instead of some idiot on a mountain side?

No Micilin.... its been a while since I was up. If I can PM you, there are a couple of questions I'd like to ask. I think I need to add you as a friend to do that if that s OK?

Little chance of me walking past any idiots on a mountain side.

I heard a few months ago that a planned 'clean-up' of Everest was being implemented.

Local sherpas are taking a skip type thing with them, to clean up all the bodies and general sh*t left behind from thoughtless climbers.

I'd have thought it would have all been covered with snow.??? :confused: :confused: Apparently not.

Sponsored Links
Back