Everest

It's strange. I've always had this niggling feeling in my little head, that people that do these types of expeditions in the name of charity is a bit of a sham.

It's not really for charity, is it.???? Surely it's just a personal goal. The charity part is secondary, immaterial even.

I could be completely wrong, but I'm sure if climbers were asked to go up there to recover bodies, for charity, the climbers wouldn't be interested. Getting to the top is the ultimate goal.

I could be completely wrong.

Sponsored Links
It's strange. I've always had this niggling feeling in my little head, that people that do these types of expeditions in the name of charity is a bit of a sham.

Its a shame you think like that.

It's not really for charity, is it.???? Surely it's just a personal goal. The charity part is secondary, immaterial even.

I consider both equally. I want to do something that I'd not though possible of me and help a charity by doing that. No way is the charity immaterial to me. Do you feel the same about marathon runners?

I could be completely wrong, but I'm sure if climbers were asked to go up there to recover bodies, for charity, the climbers wouldn't be interested. Getting to the top is the ultimate goal.

Not to me its not - well not primarily ..... its taking on the challenge. If I don't summit its not like the mountain will disappear. I can try again. I may feel that getting to the top is an ultimate goal if I fail when I try. I don't feel like that yet. Have you not understood that recovering bodies at the height they die is not really an option for climbers or the best Sherpa's - charity or no charity?

I could be completely wrong.

Mostly right is a lot of cases from what I've read. (apart from the bring back bodies stuff) just put across wrongly when directed at me.

Have you not understood that recovering bodies at the height they die is not really an option for climbers or the best Sherpa's - charity or no charity?

So why did the sherpa's have a clean up operation planned????

And why have dying men been left while their fellow climbers finish the final ascent.???

And why don't the victorious survivors go back down the mountain, get fit and well again, and then go back up and get their friends bodies.?????

Mostly right is a lot of cases from what I've read. (apart from the bring back bodies stuff) just put across wrongly when directed at me.

It wasn't directed at you. I was interested in the subject.

Sponsored Links
So why did the sherpa's have a clean up operation planned????
From what information I can glean from the good old internet, is that there is a lot more to clean up than just dead bodies. Human waste, oxygen bottles, discarded equipment etc...

And why have dying men been left while their fellow climbers finish the final ascent.???
Well, they're dying and they could not be saved. I suppose you stay with them until they die and then your body is another one stuck up a mountain, carry on your ascent and descend as quickly as possible to ensure your own survival or just descend (seems pointless to me if your so close to the top).

If your part of a big organised team with Sherpa help you wont get into this position, but many single or small climbing groups who go it 'alone' so to speak don't have this help. They are aware of the dangers, knowing that if they get into trouble help will not be there for them. Likewise, they themselves would be unable to help another climber who was in trouble.
And why don't the victorious survivors go back down the mountain, get fit and well again, and then go back up and get their friends bodies.?????
Moving a corpse above 8000m is easier said than done. From what I have read, it's as much as you can do to move yourself as the air at that height has only about 30% of the oxygen it has at sea level. That's without the terrain your walking on yourself. I suppose with enough training anyone could walk a tight rope - but trying doing it with a dead body on your back. Even if you and a fellow 'tight rope walker' tried carrying the body at each end you'd never manage it.
Bodies literally freeze to the slopes because of the low temperatures - thus the body becomes part of the mountain.

I'm sorry but I think it is stupid.

Could you not spend the time persuading Rooney to donate half a weeks wages to your charity?

He won't go. We all know that. All that hot air would melt the summit and start an avalanche.

On a pedantic note, if the summit was melted wouldn't it cause a flood rather than an avalanche? :mrgreen:

Dubya, regardless of the cynical stuff on here, I trust that if things go ahead you'll create a link to somewhere for us to give donations?

Just hope you don't become a victim up there dex. ;) ;) (you could end up as "Orange Boots" (or whatever colour boots your wearing at the time) ;) ;)

Dex is going as well? Good on you, Dex!

Dex is going to comfort dubya in the death zone.

He'll probably tell him "yooouuurrr deeeeaaddd" pappilon style if he goes down. :LOL:

Hearing is the last thing to go they say.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: Sorry, alcohol has taken it's toll on my brain. (but if Dex decides to accompany Dubya,as a Sherpa, n'all that) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
Back