Filters - Patern parts or genuine from manufacturer

Looks like a good site Dave, cheers!
Some of the bearings are so cheap you'd think they would have to be crap, but I guess FAG or SKF should be fine.
Just bought some from ebay, the bloody thing howls from day 1 :(
John :)

Sponsored Links
On a similar note to the filters.
//www.diynot.com/forums/automotives/toyota-bosch-or-pagid-pads.344218/

I once had a badge snob insist I fit BMW shoes to his BMW. He didn't want the ones I had in a Girling box. So, I got him the "genuine" BMW part. Lo and behold when the very expensive BMW box was opened evrything inside had Girling stamped on it.

Car manufacturers only assemble parts that are sourced from hundreds of other companies. Which, when it comes to servicing, is something you can do too.

Some of the bearings are so cheap you'd think they would have to be crap, but I guess FAG or SKF should be fine.
Been there. . . :)
I was sold some "bargain good quality" bearings a while back that were worse than the ones that were already in play wise.
That site seems to do good quality stuff. Postage was £2.50 just over 12 months back. Can't remember the make of the belts that came, two different makes, both decent makes though.

I was sold some "bargain good quality" bearings a while back that were worse than the ones that were already in play wise.
That site seems to do good quality stuff. Postage was £2.50 just over 12 months back. Can't remember the make of the belts that came, two different makes, both decent makes though.

I've used them in the past for bearings for a boat trailer. Just a little dinghy trailer carrying very little weight and getting dunked in water periodically. £8 for a complete set of four taper rollers! They're absolute rubbish, of course, but if I get 2 years out of a set for £8 and 5 years out of a set of (say) SKFs for £40, I'm still quids-in.

Sponsored Links
On a similar note to the filters.
//www.diynot.com/forums/automotives/toyota-bosch-or-pagid-pads.344218/

I once had a badge snob insist I fit BMW shoes to his BMW. He didn't want the ones I had in a Girling box. So, I got him the "genuine" BMW part. Lo and behold when the very expensive BMW box was opened evrything inside had Girling stamped on it.

Car manufacturers only assemble parts that are sourced from hundreds of other companies. Which, when it comes to servicing, is something you can do too.
I'd be pretty happy to fit anything with Girling's name on it, but there could still be small differences between the Girling product and the BMW original. If BMW are happy to put their spares name on it, the differences are likely to be miniscule, (perhaps none), but if it's only the Girling name, the differences could be more significant. It's true BMW don't make (say) wiper blades, but that doesn't mean there won't be a difference between the specification that BMW give to (say) Valeo) when they want wiper blades and he specification that (say) Dacia would give to Valeo when they want some. Valeo will just make whatever quality the client wants, for however much they're prepapred to pay.

I've used them in the past for bearings for a boat trailer. Just a little dinghy trailer carrying very little weight and getting dunked in water periodically. £8 for a complete set of four taper rollers! They're absolute rubbish, of course, but if I get 2 years out of a set for £8 and 5 years out of a set of (say) SKFs for £40, I'm still quids-in.

The bearings I had that were worse than the ones that were in weren't from there. I was "had" by a local garage selling them at MOT time. :)
Interesting though that at least some of the bearings on that site look as if they are "NKB" from Thailand. Don't know anything about them.
Last belts I had from there were a decent brand. Can't remember which offhand but recognisable.
There appears to be little rhyme or reason in the pricing at a lot of bearing places. I used to have a card from the managing director at one well known supplier, and the trade prices I used to get there were amazing!

I recently got an oil filter for my Ford tdci (simple paper element type with o ring) off eBay for £3. Its Fujitoyo brand, "original equipment quality". The packaging claims improved performance and better acceleration, which set the alarm bells ringing. So I was in my local Ford dealer buying a couple of litres of DOT4 for the Mrs' Renault and thought I'd get a geniune Ford filter while there, at £11, to compare.
The first obvious difference is the ebay job stands at least 3mm higher than the genuine. These are a tight push fit so any deviance in tolerances could cause the filter to deform. The other very obvious difference is that the end cap has what looks like a thick white glue bonding it to the element. The original does not.
While £11 is double what I'd usually pay for a filter from my local factors, these engines are notorious for dying with oil issues, so what's a few pounds extra to know you've got a part that actually fits and is correctly constructed. The ebay part is going straight in the bin.

I recently got an oil filter for my Ford tdci (simple paper element type with o ring) off eBay for £3. Its Fujitoyo brand, "original equipment quality". The packaging claims improved performance and better acceleration, which set the alarm bells ringing. So I was in my local Ford dealer buying a couple of litres of DOT4 for the Mrs' Renault and thought I'd get a geniune Ford filter while there, at £11, to compare.
The first obvious difference is the ebay job stands at least 3mm higher than the genuine. These are a tight push fit so any deviance in tolerances could cause the filter to deform. The other very obvious difference is that the end cap has what looks like a thick white glue bonding it to the element. The original does not.
While £11 is double what I'd usually pay for a filter from my local factors, these engines are notorious for dying with oil issues, so what's a few pounds extra to know you've got a part that actually fits and is correctly constructed. The ebay part is going straight in the bin.
I think you're wise. I was just reading about problems with these engines the other day. Just to scare myself, you know how it is! :) I've got the Peugeot hdi which is "the same" as the Ford as far as I can tell. I was thinking that if I do the oil change this next time I'll get the "proper" filter and not a pattern.

If its a 1.6 engine, changing the oil twice as often as recommended will go a long way toward preserving the turbo. There is a filter in the turbo oil feed that clogs up starving it of oil, the advice is apparently to take it out and throw it away.

Peter

With this motor, Citroen refuse to replace the turbo alone if it fails......apparently its impossible to clean out the oil ways and a new engine is needed! :eek:
Can you believe it?

There's a lot of horror stories on the web. Assume some at least are true! I read somewhere that they have done away with that inline filter on later engines. Can't find that now of course. Apparently the right recommended oil, half the recommended change interval, and careful changes with a hot engine following the maker's instructions go a long way to making the engine last.
As you say John, the engine is scrap if the turbo goes bang. It makes me seriously wonder about hanging on to this car. I like it, and it suits us, but I don't want problems like that!

I wonder if they knew that when they made it - the turbo is at the front so relatively easy to change - makes you wonder. :D

John - No, I don't believe it, putting new oil in will flush it out but you can get a lot of carbon granuals in the sump. Providing the oil is changed more frequently I can't see how they can get past the oil filter.

Peter

There was an article on this very issue some while back in Car Mechanics magazine......seriously, a turbo failed, the sump was dropped, the oil changed, run for a while and then changed again (with filters, of course.)
The turbo failed after around 1000 miles I think it was, it was replaced and it failed again, although lube was known to be reaching the turbo.
You can just imagine being the garage man at the end of that one :eek:
Mind you, I think the engine in question was mightily overdue service wise - in which case it serves the owner right to some degree.
I would tread very carefully about buying a vehicle with this motor in, without any history!

Yeah the Peugeot DV6 engine is fitted to several cars inc BMW Mini, Ford Focus etc, and the issues are well-known. Perhaps models with the DPF are more prone to problems, also leaking injectors have been suggested as a cause. When shopping for mine (08 year) I made sure I got a Euro III vehicle with no DPF. Just for peace of mind I dropped the sump, cleaned out the oil pickup, replaced the turbo feed pipe and the banjo bolt with the filter that gets blocked (the replacement has more surface area - I asked a Ford masterTech if they replace or just remove the filter, he said if it looks ok they just clean it, if its looking mucky they replace, but they don't just rip the filter out). Job was quite a faff and I guess its no guarantee mine won't go bad too, but at least I've done all I can. I change the oil about every 5000 miles or twice a year if I can remember. Is it all worth it given the coming War On The Diesel and the other expensive things (dual mass flywheel, etc) on a modern diesel that are just waiting to fail...?

Yeah the Peugeot DV6 engine is fitted to several cars inc BMW Mini, Ford Focus etc, and the issues are well-known. Perhaps models with the DPF are more prone to problems, also leaking injectors have been suggested as a cause. When shopping for mine (08 year) I made sure I got a Euro III vehicle with no DPF. Just for peace of mind I dropped the sump, cleaned out the oil pickup, replaced the turbo feed pipe and the banjo bolt with the filter that gets blocked (the replacement has more surface area - I asked a Ford masterTech if they replace or just remove the filter, he said if it looks ok they just clean it, if its looking mucky they replace, but they don't just rip the filter out). Job was quite a faff and I guess its no guarantee mine won't go bad too, but at least I've done all I can. I change the oil about every 5000 miles or twice a year if I can remember. Is it all worth it given the coming War On The Diesel and the other expensive things (dual mass flywheel, etc) on a modern diesel that are just waiting to fail...?
Found something else which said the guy ran taxis, and apart from halving the normal oil change interval, they do what you have said here every 30K. Keep an eye on the injectors etc. too. He said they were reliable if you do that.
I've seen the DPF being blamed as well. Mine doesn't have that. (Well I'm pretty sure it doesn't. . .)
One thing's for sure. It looks expensive if the turbo does blow!
Like I say I'm wondering whether to let it be someone else's problem!

Sponsored Links
Back