Fire in fuse box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all first time I've posted on this forumn and am looking for some advice. Been in a new build home for nearly 3 years now. This morning wife plugged Hoover in and no power, realised no power from any plug in front room so called me. Suggested she have a look at the fuse box see anything had tripped out. Nothing so called a registered electrician. I do not touch anything electrical beyond changing a fuse or bulb. He was round quickly and took panel of fuse box and found this. See attached.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Does this look like poor workmanship at installation. Electrician believed so. House builders do not want to know (as ever! out of two year warranty). I have concerns on whole electrics now. Also is there any way I can get the builder or his contractor to take responsibility in safety checking this now and paying the bill I will get from the electrician to replace and make safe under my instruction. Like I said I don't touch electricity so could do with some advice.

Sponsored Links
Whats that test sheet in the background, readings for the rcds should not be all the same, should they.
Need to see that to determing the burnt out cable size, for 32 amp it should be at least 4mm

Last edited:
Hi, have you had any circuits added to the existing consumer unit ?

Thanks,

DS

Sponsored Links
Not had any circuits added nothing touched electricity since day one. Like I mentioned I do not touch electricity jobs. What is the neutral bar?

The cert doesn't seem to match what's in the board? Unless I'm being stupid? It would be easier to read if the results had been entered instead of arrows everywhere!

The neutral bar is the bar at the top with the neutral wires in. That sort of colour usually suggests it's been getting warm. One of the wires looks a bit discoloured too.

Yea it looks like that 6mm Neutral from the cooker circuit, is eerrr, cooking the neutral bar.

Totally irrelevant, but it annoys me when people put down voltage rating as 230v on a (hager at least) 60497-3, when clearly, it says printed, right on the damn front of the thing, 400v.

image.jpg
So the shoddily trimmed down thick blue wire in top left has caused a over heat? The cooker is off fourth switch from left. For some highly probably linked reason the above comment is noted on the installation sheet?? If I was been cynical I would suggest. They have never tested the full electrics with kitchen cooker Dishwaher extractor his fridge etc in? How is this possibly signed off as a new build??

Perhaps they weren't fitted at the time of test. If a kitchen fitter was connecting them, you definitely don't want to put your name on that work!

Any chance of a full view of the fuse box? There is a lot of odd things going on in there but only small parts are visible!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back