First House, dodgy garage wiring

Sponsored Links
Totally agree, if it's in pen. Nothing wrong with a faint pencil label saying spare. Don't know about MK boards, but Wylex come with little blank squares that go over the way labels, so you can stick one of those, say above the actual way label and write spare on that.
All agreed.
No issue with them putting MCBs not blanks in, I like it when they're labelled properly. Could be handy in 10+ yeas time
Indeed. In fact, I very commonly do it, if not 'for the future', as a storage space for actual 'spare' MCBs!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Maybe, but there could be worse on the way - "over-voltage protection" seems to be progressively creeping towards us - and I personally most definitely do not feel the need for that in my installation!

Kind Regards, John
Yea I did see that in the draft notes for the 18th Edition. How much it gets watered down between now and then though remains to be seen. I have installed SPDs literally once, and that was because it was deemed necessary by the insurance company because the building was a lightning risk (apparently) so lightning rods/straps went in and SPDs were fitted to all submains. Was up there recently, and unsurprisingly, none of them have popped

I'm sure there's something we do now that in 10-15 years will be a complete PITA too

In the 15th, there was a tendency to bond everything that moved. I'm sure that's annoyed a few people subsequently.

It might be an idea to ask to look at the cert that would have been completed when the board was changed.

That ought to have comments about shared neutrals, dodgy garage wiring (like non-compliant supply cable, unsecured cables, missing grommets and dodgy cable joints) and the like.

If there is a cert but it doesn't mention this sort of stuff on it, its authenticity can be called into question. And if there isn't one, start negotiating for a reduction to allow for rectification work, possibly rewiring.

Looks like there's no fusing down on the switch.
I think it is a pretty poor DIY attempt. Ideally would be looking to get a new wire added to the consumer which does the garage. Any ideas on what sort of money this would cost? The vendor assured me he has an electrical safety certificate but now says he can't find it, and doesn't want to go the expense of getting another unless I make an offer on the place.

The vendor assured me he has an electrical safety certificate but now says he can't find it

Hmmm...

If you really like the house and its location, go ahead and buy it regardless. But expect electrical issues. If it is one of several you are considering and you wouldn't be upset to lose it, push for the paperwork to show its compliance. If they really can't lay their hands on the paperwork for such a recent board change, I smell a rat.

Hmmm...

If you really like the house and its location, go ahead and buy it regardless. But expect electrical issues. If it is one of several you are considering and you wouldn't be upset to lose it, push for the paperwork to show its compliance. If they really can't lay their hands on the paperwork for such a recent board change, I smell a rat.
Yes, my thoughts too.
The place isn't bad, and I don't want to come across as over-fussy, but prices here in the south east are already really high, once I buy the place, I won't have anything left to spend on wiring, gas boilers etc and I anticipate it will take me a few years to build up a few thousand to get any extra works done. So would rather somewhere we can just move into and know we have five or so years without any bother.

We're currently in a newish build (7 y/o) affordable rent place. Boiler can be a pain, but electrics are all spot on, no leaks in roof, no nothing. I know no house is perfect, but we just don't want somewhere that is going to end up needing lots spending. This has not been lived in and is empty, it was bought as an investment and done up so you don't know if there will be heating issues or anything else as no one has actually lived in it.

We have seen some others (newer, with much newer wiring) for the same price. This one does have a drive, which is a bonus, but we would not be devastated if we lost out.

Last edited:
Off-street parking is definitely a bonus in Oxon/ Hants/ Bucks/ Berks/ Surrey/ Sussex/ Kent!

Off-street parking is definitely a bonus in Oxon/ Hants/ Bucks/ Berks/ Surrey/ Sussex/ Kent!
This is Uttlesford, no train line here or anything but we have had several knocks to our cars where we currently are, so would like a drive if possible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back