gaps between spindals on banaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i rent out a property and the tenant as asked if they can remove the banister to open up the hall. i said this is not allowed due to safety reasons and they went on the internet and came at me with the gaps between the spindles are to wide, approx 210mm. i am under the impesion that new builds have set maximum gaps but this does not apply to a 1950s property.

please could someone shed some light on this.

Sponsored Links
It would fail an HHSRS inspection, and a claim for injury relating to the balustrades may succeed in common law negligence.

Both of these would override any past b/regs standards, in a letting context.

Max. distance between balustrades is 100mm. get a chippy in to fit new balustrades.

Don't forget any work done on your property will come off the end of year tax.

Andy

Sponsored Links
By spending money and improving the property can only be a benefit. When the tenant moves out and new tenants are found the work might have to be done in a rush as they have small children, you would not want to loose time when the property is empty. It is always best to complete work when the property is occupied.

Andy

The op's tenants do not want the balustrades, so won't what any new ones either, I suspect

How come they wanted to remove the bannister (if that's what you mean) and now they are complaining about the gaps?
You can't have the spindles without a bannister rail.

They are using the "unsafe" balustrades as a reason to have the lot removed

as an aside

100mm is maximum
its better to aim for 95mm max as wood moves
the 100 is a sphere off 100mm [child's head size]must not pass through any gap this includes any turning along its length

Thank you all for the replies.
I did try elsewhere to get this infomation. I suppose i was ignorant with the bannister but i will say i will add extra spindles to tenant. To be honest they are playing there faces to remove it all together. What makes it worse this is my mate who was made homeless and i brought the house to help him out.

What are mates for. even though he is a mate i am trying to do it properly and i have gutted the house to make it nice for them. he is a great tenant and i would let him remove the bannister but am not due to health and safety

thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back