Garden room height came out at 2540mm!! 40mm over the what it should be :(

The whole garden has been excavated and re laid (patio areas and grass). The only way they could determine the ‘existing’ground level would be to laser back to the house and use the Datum (this would do me a favour as the datum would give me more height).

Sponsored Links
the ground level is still under the slab but may give him a "get out " iff he wants to measure and overlook whats at his feet
That’s what I’m thinking. Because the 40mm is so minimal, you would think they would take any opportunity they could to over look it rather than a big investigation and potential for things to get messy.

Your worrying over nothing.

I went through similar over 100mm as you can see above and the council weren't interested I just had to go through the hoops to make the paperwork right.

They'll come out, inspect, you'll explain about your error with the roof, I told them I'd honestly miscalculated the amount of insulation in the roof and they agree it has to be built to building regs and that was it really

Your worrying over nothing.

I went through similar over 100mm as you can see above and the council weren't interested I just had to go through the hoops to make the paperwork right.

They'll come out, inspect, you'll explain about your error with the roof, I told them I'd honestly miscalculated the amount of insulation in the roof and they agree it has to be built to building regs and that was it really
I read your case but it’s a bit of a different scenario as yours I assume was brick and block construction where as mine is timber and cladding. Yours was also under construction but mines already been built (so changes cannot be made easily or cheaply). If mine was 100mm over the recommended height I think they would tell me to alter it but I’m hoping because it’s only 40mm they may turn a blind eye. I’m thinking if I lay the additional porcelain slab to create a step they will not even notice the minor height discrepancy.

Sponsored Links
It's not that different really, you'll be surprised how normal the council are if your open and straightforward with them.

Council funding is at an all time high stretch to it's limits, there not going to be able to justify the expense of pursuing you for a minor infringement that is causing no material loss to anybody.

They are however likely to push you to submit a retrospective application to tidy up their paperwork trail.

It's not that different really, you'll be surprised how normal the council are if your open and straightforward with them.

Council funding is at an all time high stretch to it's limits, there not going to be able to justify the expense of pursuing you for a minor infringement that is causing no material loss to anybody.

They are however likely to push you to submit a retrospective application to tidy up their paperwork trail.
I’m hoping they use some common sense and hopefully it can be dealt with and put to bed without the need for any planning applications but maybe that’s just wishful thinking on my part!

If they require a formal planning application then it would mean submitting drawings (which I don’t have) and writing up a specification of what’s been installed - all of which comes with additional costs and time. A formal application I assume would then come with more checks and potentially more issues coming to the fore that I wasnt even aware of!

So when you built it, how did you know how high it should be in relation to the existing adjacent ground level if you dig up/re-levelled that ground?

So when you built it, how did you know how high it should be in relation to the existing adjacent ground level if you dig up/re-levelled that ground?
The ground level in that corner of the garden was artificially low because it had been used as an access route for a caravan to be stored there hence it was lower than the rest of the garden. I then built it back up to make it level with the rest of the garden. I then used the new garden level to build the garden room at 2.5m (or 40mm over as it’s turned out).

The council will not know what the existing ground level was, unless I tell them (which I won’t because I cant be bothered with the complication it may cause).

I agree, it little more than the width of a thumb to high, or , 0.16% that will be completely unnoticeable unless he gets a rule out to check it. Just offer to help hold the bottom end, and prop it on your toe.
I was thinking this but you don’t know how anal they are doing to be. The idea of propping up the tape measure had also crossed my mind lol

If there is an opportunity to raise a bit of adjacent sensibly, without it being stupidly obvious, then I would do it - it gives the inspector a get out and/or puts him/her in the position of getting in to an argument to try and prove that wasn't the original ground level. However, I do suspect it will be OK unless he/she is a real jobsworth.

and writing up a specification of what’s been installed
You don't - a planning application doesn't involve specification except external appearance. It's a bout size and location mainly.

Here are some pictures to give an idea of the scenario. The line is where I’m going to run another layer of porcelain slabs to create a step to raise the ground up slightly.

Attachments

• IMG_0528.jpeg
    IMG_0528.jpeg
    455.9 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_0526.jpeg
    IMG_0526.jpeg
    665.1 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_0527.jpeg
    IMG_0527.jpeg
    436.9 KB · Views: 147
You can't just add some slabs and they measure from there, the existing ground level is the one before you started.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back