Garden room height came out at 2540mm!! 40mm over the what it should be :(

Hard to judge from photos, but it doesn't look like more than 15m2 to me. Mine's 16m2 internally, and it looks like half a house.

Sponsored Links
Nonsense why? If one doesn't know the rules how can one advise others or know how to proceed?
I don't understand what point you're making. Please explain.

My point is that the official government guidance doesn't state anything about area - floor, building or otherwise. Lots of unofficial sites give all kinds of numbers, e.g. 15m2 or 30m2 if non-combustible. But as far as I can tell this is all rumour.

What's yours made of? If it's "substantially non-combustible" then according to that labc guide it can be 30m2. It looks like metal to me, in which case you may be covered under that.

Mine's brick, and is around 16m2. It seems I could have built much bigger if I'd wanted to.
It’s timber frame with metal cladding

Sponsored Links
Just say you had to clear the original high point of the land, to get a level base for it.
It absolutely doesn't work like that (lawfully). The height is measured from the original existing ground level, you cannot (lawfully) add a bit of earth to make it seem like the ground is higher to begin with. That said some will inevitably do that and take their chances.

I don't understand what point you're making. Please explain.

My point is that the official government guidance doesn't state anything about area - floor, building or otherwise. Lots of unofficial sites give all kinds of numbers, e.g. 15m2 or 30m2 if non-combustible. But as far as I can tell this is all rumour.
The floor area is a Building Control issue not Planning.

Whether you need planning permission or not is definitely a planning issue.

The rules seem to be based on gossip and rumour as far as I can tell, it's nonsense.

It absolutely doesn't work like that (lawfully). The height is measured from the original existing ground level, you cannot (lawfully) add a bit of earth to make it seem like the ground is higher to begin with. That said some will inevitably do that and take their chances.
The official guidance doesn't actually state whether it's the ground level now, last week, before building or during the neolithic period...

The height of the building, enclosure or container should be measured from the highest ground level immediately adjacent to the building, enclosure, or container to its highest point.

The rules are rubbish, everything you're stating sounds logical but doesn't seem to be based on anything official.

It absolutely doesn't work like that (lawfully). The height is measured from the original existing ground level, you cannot (lawfully) add a bit of earth to make it seem like the ground is higher to begin with.

and so, all he need do - is suggesting he lowered the pre-existing ground a couple of inches, when he laid out the base.

No need to bother, this is all just gossip as far as I can tell.

Just putting the word original in italics doesn't make it official. I've linked the official government guidance, it doesn't state anything of the sort.

Attachments

• IMG_0529.jpeg
    IMG_0529.jpeg
    234.3 KB · Views: 32

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back