Garden room height came out at 2540mm!! 40mm over the what it should be :(

Aaaaand………..breathe! A good result. I bet you’ll sleep well tonight. (y)

Sponsored Links
At least you are aware of the issue and trying to deal with it.

One of my neighbours had a large shed at the bottom of his garden which was only about 1 metre from the boundary with my property and also that of the house behind him. When the roof - originally flat(ish) - deteriorated badly, he renewed it and at the same time raised up the front by about 2-3 feet so as to make it a pent-roof. When I asked him - all innocent like :) - what the new height was at the front he looked puzzled and asked what did that matter. When I explained that he might, in so doing, have exceeded the limit for the height of such buildings that were not pitched roofed, it soon became quite clear that it would not be in my best interests to bring the matter to the attention of the local Council....:(

Good outcome for the OP, it should never have got that far. Years ago our local Council required an owner to take down a roof that was 12" or so higher than permitted, something to do with the measurement taken from ground level. The case was appealed and allowed. Petty parish council politics (it was a new development they had objected to) and the pressure which that created on the council was the only reason they enforced.

Blup

Sponsored Links
Good outcome for the OP, it should never have got that far. Years ago our local Council required an owner to take down a roof that was 12" or so higher than permitted, something to do with the measurement taken from ground level. The case was appealed and allowed. Petty parish council politics (it was a new development they had objected to) and the pressure which that created on the council was the only reason they enforced.

Blup
A good result for the OP, common sense has prevailed as predicted.

However when is an outbuilding too tall? 12" too high? 18", 24", 30", 36" 42", 48", even higher? Please explain exactly at what height you think the law should be applied and why? Don't worry, I have asked this question to many regulars and they have never been able to provide a defensible answer.

Good outcome for the OP, it should never have got that far.

How far? Complaint was made, someone came and checked, said no further action. There isn't much less that could be done, without being negligent.

A good result for the OP, common sense has prevailed as predicted.

However when is an outbuilding too tall? 12" too high? 18", 24", 30", 36" 42", 48", even higher? Please explain exactly at what height you think the law should be applied and why? Don't worry, I have asked this question to many regulars and they have never been able to provide a defensible answer.
50 mm in this case, in any event it is not just whether the law has been broken, its whether it is expedient to bring enforcement action. Government guidance says trivial or technical breaches should not be pursued, 40/50mm to high is hardly harmful to anyones amenity. Its got to be case by case, it shouldn't be because the right person shouts loudest.

Blup

How far? Complaint was made, someone came and checked, said no further action. There isn't much less that could be done, without being negligent.
Malicious complaint.

Blup

50 mm in this case, in any event it is not just whether the law has been broken, its whether it is expedient to bring enforcement action. Government guidance says trivial or technical breaches should not be pursued, 40/50mm to high is hardly harmful to anyones amenity. Its got to be case by case, it shouldn't be because the right person shouts loudest.

Blup
I'm still not clear why lyou think the council should not have investigated? Or are you just saying stuff without really thinking about it?

I'm still not clear why lyou think the council should not have investigated? Or are you just saying stuff without really thinking about it?
Make your mind up, your original question was about when the council should investigate, you're now asking whether they should.

Blup

I guess the council have to follow up complaints regardless of what they entail. It’s just good to know that adapt some common sense in these scenarios. Who knows what they would have said if it was 100mm or 200mm over …. The likelihood is they may have asked for a planning application.

The rules are there for all to see. 200mm above the proscribed height, is quite a breach.
We are constantly measuring and fussing, when building roofs etc, so that we strive to stay on board, regardless of what roof pitches or recommendations or drawings dictate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back