Garden room height came out at 2540mm!! 40mm over the what it should be :(

You can't just add some slabs and they measure from there, the existing ground level is the one before you started.
Of course, technically, but it might give a sensible inspector the ability to reply to a k***head neighbour that "they've measured it and it's OK". Whatever, it certainly isn't going to work against you.

Sponsored Links
You can't just add some slabs and they measure from there, the existing ground level is the one before you started.
Where are they going to measure from? Surely they will have a tape measure with them and they will just want to drop a tape down the front to gauge the height? There is no access to the side or back because the fence sits circa 50mm off the wall.

Sponsored Links
Actually... if it's built on the boundary then what they may be much more interested in is whether the roof overhangs and where the run-off goes. You can't just tip water into your neighbour's garden but it looks that way from your photos.

Actually... if it's built on the boundary then what they may be much more interested in is whether the roof overhangs and where the run-off goes. You can't just tip water into your neighbour's garden but it looks that way from your photos.
The roof actually slopes backwards onto some land which Is owned by me so the water run off will be onto my land luckily.

The only other thing I was worried about was that the m2 footprint of the garden room is over 15m2 so I’m worried they may say it’s too big to be built in timber frame so close to the boundary line. The rules on this seem to be a little unclear online.

I'm currently building a PD shed too. I agree, the rules are ridiculously vague. Anywhere that actual numbers are given, this is "floor" area, so that may give some leeway. In my case I have 29cm thick brick cavity walls, so it's a lot bigger externally.

I haven't seen an official limit in area anywhere other than informal guides. I don't think the official guidance states anything, in which case it appears that you're allowed to build as big as you like on up 50% of your garden, which would be nuts.

I just checked again, I still can't find anything official but guides all state it's 15m2 FLOOR area. Yours should be fine, if the footprint is around 15 then the floor area will definitely be well under.

I'm currently building a PD shed too. I agree, the rules are ridiculously vague. Anywhere that actual numbers are given, this is "floor" area, so that may give some leeway. In my case I have 29cm thick brick cavity walls, so it's a lot bigger externally.

I haven't seen an official limit in area anywhere other than informal guides. I don't think the official guidance states anything, in which case it appears that you're allowed to build as big as you like on up 50% of your garden, which would be nuts.
I think if it’s in brick/block and away from boundary line then you can get away with up to 50% of garden size and even have a pitched roof (much higher than the flat roof limit of 2.5m). Like you say though the rules are vague and there is a lot of caveats involved which makes it a little unclear. Hopefully the inspector is just following up the complaint and ‘ticking the boxes’ rather than wanting to open a huge can of worms! I don’t think what I’ve built is anything out to the ordinary or offensive in any way so hopefully they are of the same view.

I just checked again, I still can't find anything official but guides all state it's 15m2 FLOOR area. Yours should be fine, if the footprint is around 15 then the floor area will definitely be well under.
It’s a funny shape to be honest so hard to calculate the exact floor area but I would say it’s closer to 20m2 than 15m2. :(

What's yours made of? If it's "substantially non-combustible" then according to that labc guide it can be 30m2. It looks like metal to me, in which case you may be covered under that.

Mine's brick, and is around 16m2. It seems I could have built much bigger if I'd wanted to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back