Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i removed my gas fire to fit a new electric suite

the gas is off at the cock...whats my next step to make this safe

cheers
geof

Sponsored Links
You should already know what to do next as I presume you are gas safe registered as you have already started the job

Last edited:
You should already know what to do next as I presume you are gas safe registered as you have already started the job

you presume wrong...i had wondered if i would get this kind of answer
but you are right

That's the only answer you'll get on here I'm afraid. As an rgi I have spent a lot of time and money on training, assesment and having the correct testing equipment to work on gas. Giving diy gas advice would be like biting the hand that feeds me. See the diy gas thread at the top of the forum for more info

Sponsored Links
That's the only answer you'll get on here I'm afraid as an rgi I have spent a lot of time and money on training, assesment and having the correct testing equipment to work on gas. Giving diy gas advice would be like biting the hand that feeds me. See the diy gas thread at the top of the forum for more info

is the answer then go call in a gas engineer?...there is one coming to do the fitted kitchen hob but not for a week or so and i thought an intermediate step could be taken
cheers
geof

Hope he doesnt serve you with a RIDDOR for leaving an open ended gas supply. It needs to be plugged / capped and tightness tested. A closed control valve is classed as an open end.

As above, in the condition you've left it you could be reported to the HSE for leaving your gas supply in a dangerous condition. Get an RGI out to sort it ASAP and definitely before you use the electric fire. You don't know that there isn't a small amount of gas leaking into the new fire, which could explode next time you turn the fire on

That's the only answer you'll get on here I'm afraid as an rgi I have spent a lot of time and money on training, assesment and having the correct testing equipment to work on gas. Giving diy gas advice would be like biting the hand that feeds me. See the diy gas thread at the top of the forum for more info

is the answer then go call in a gas engineer?...there is one coming to do the fitted kitchen hob but not for a week or so and i thought an intermediate step could be taken
cheers
geof

Dont light a match or use a naked flame for the next week, Oh and dont switch on any lights either,

Hope that answers your question.

Hope he doesnt serve you with a RIDDOR for leaving an open ended gas supply. It needs to be plugged / capped and tightness tested. A closed control valve is classed as an open end.

As above, in the condition you've left it you could be reported to the HSE for leaving your gas supply in a dangerous condition. Get an RGI out to sort it ASAP and definitely before you use the electric fire. You don't know that there isn't a small amount of gas leaking into the new fire, which could explode next time you turn the fire on

Dont light a match or use a naked flame for the next week, Oh and dont switch on any lights either,

Hope that answers your question.

ill look out for 'gas explosion' title in the west briton.

FIRE PLUG by mrcrow_uk, on Flickr

all done now...£30 and certified!!..my heating engineer lives close by
well worth it and sorry to disappoint

do you guys know anything about parachutes...:D

Preumably, that is in a non visible, or at least hard to see, position?

do you guys know anything about parachutes...:D

death-sky_diver-airplanes-gas_explosion-explosions-parachute-19831575_low.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back