glowworm 24ci boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my boiler water pressure is reading 0.5 bar and it will not go up when i turn on the filling loop what can i do?the boiler is a glowworm 24ci

Sponsored Links
NO IT DOES NOT HAVE 2 TAPS ALSO IT HAS A DIGITAL READING FOR THE PRESSURE. WHEN YOU TURN THE HOT WATER ON IT STARTS TO FLASH AND A RED LIGHT COMES ON.

Sponsored Links
could be the non return valve on the filling loop stuck
have you filled the boiler before :?:
check the plastic handle on the valve is acually turning the valve they break easy
if your not sure take the lever off and try turning the shaft with a small spanner :)

Ok it goes like this....the most common problem is the filling tap/repressure tap whatever you wanna call it. Its a bad design and breaks regularly. If you have to order another I would order a spare as well (part code 801907). The valve inside these things is tiny and can break very easily if you TIGHTEN IT TOO MUCH....thumb pressure is all that is needed...and not to much either.

The second thing to check if you are able to repressure your system is the thermostat - bugger to get at but try a reset.....test the system again....

If that fails its the discharge safety valve - check ya manual and you will find it - they can scale up so take the bugger off....chuck it in some vinegar for an hour if you live in a hard water area and then pop it back on!

If you live in soft water area it might just simply have failed....these valves are not the best in the world ya know....well in my opinion!!!

For what it's worth, I had the same zero pressure leaking valve problem, and after a good look around for obvious faults, the unit seems to respond to opening the filling valve quickly (turned off when the gauge reaches 2bar), which seems to help the zero pressure valve reseal itself. I had to do this a couple of times and open the hot taps in between. Try it a few times before you call in an expensive engineer! Good luck!

Ok it goes like this....the most common problem is the filling tap/repressure tap whatever you wanna call it. Its a bad design and breaks regularly. If you have to order another I would order a spare as well (part code 801907). The valve inside these things is tiny and can break very easily if you TIGHTEN IT TOO MUCH....thumb pressure is all that is needed...and not to much either.

The second thing to check if you are able to repressure your system is the thermostat - b*****r to get at but try a reset.....test the system again....

If that fails its the discharge safety valve - check ya manual and you will find it - they can scale up so take the b*****r off....chuck it in some vinegar for an hour if you live in a hard water area and then pop it back on!

If you live in soft water area it might just simply have failed....these valves are not the best in the world ya know....well in my opinion!!!

what are you blabbing on about??? prv's? t/stats?? they simply enquired about a filling problem...quite simple...either the mains pressure isn't enough(the disconnector requires about 1bar+ to operate effectively) or the shaft on the filling valve has broken. This is common simply because people turn them off to hard. The new ones have a brass shaft and are much less likely to break, so theres no point buying spares unless you are some clumsy handed oaf.

Any decent installation engineer would have fitted an external filling loop!

1) If the instructions are read it actually points out that the crappy blue knob internal filling loops for these boilers (and the cxi's) are not for full filling of system only for interim top ups.

2) My firm unfortunately fits hundreds of crappy Gloworm boilers and the blue internal filling loops are as crappy and as useless as the parent company I advise you not to bother with replacing the internal loop (the latest Gworms have mercifully been fitted with Vaillant style internal loops and taps.

3) Drain down and cut in a new external filling loop we have changed hundreds of the old blue knob Gworm types and continue to do so on a daily basis. It's Gworms legacy to the heating trade!

4) Never ever ever ever buy a Gworm boiler in the future.

And what is wrong with Glowworm? probably just needs a new rpz valve ( disconnecter ) not very expensive, the little blue tap can easily be removed and tested, nothing wrong with this boiler at all other than the disconnecter which was a naf design, if your system is dirty it can block up behind the rpz valve

What is wrong with Gworm?

One can only presume that you have not been in the industry long?

Suffice to say that even if they produced the best boiler in all of Christendom (which they don't) then I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. And I have to work on their boilers day in and day out.

Possibly the crappiest firm in the heating industry to deal with, and theres quite a few real contenders for that crown.

I never really understand installers not fitting a supplementary external loop for convenience other than out of laziness or saving a fiver. If that had happened here we wouldn't be having this conversation.

why? because you had to change a few filling taps you think no one should ever buy a glowworm again?? you just said they are now using an improved filling loop? so whats the problem?

Make that a few hundred not a few.

As we work on contracts that contain thousands of Gworm boilers I think that I am well qualified to coment on this firm and their products.

Where would you like me to start? Just take the fact that after 20 years they still aren't capable of providing a circuit board that lasts more than a strawberry season or a hydroblock that actually holds water.

As a heating equipment firm in general they stink the place out!

However don't let my experiences put off others who are satisfied with their products from buying and installing as they see fit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back