Hall Switch Wiring

SNO

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we are replacing all the switches in our house with new ones (not different types).

When we removed the hall switch some of the wires came out without us being able to mark which wire went in which connector. Basically we have the normal scenario where there are two lights - one upstairs and one downstairs and there is a double switch downstairs which turns them both on and off and a single switch upstairs which turns the upstairs one on and off.

In the downstairs switch there are two cables feeding in. In one there is a red, black and a bare wire (earth) and in the second there is a red, blue and yellow wire. In the upstairs there are again two cables with exactly the same colours.

Please note that I have looked at your notes you supply but can't follow them in relation to my specific problem.

I would really appreciate your help on this. Sarah

Sponsored Links
Firstly make sure you have turned the electric off.
In the switch you wish to use for downstairs, connect the red and black from the twin and earth cable to C and L1.
Note how the R/Y/B wires from the 3core+earth cable are connected in the upstairs switch and connect the R/Y/B cable to the other switch downstairs in the same configuration.
Ensure both earths are connected to the back box and to the switch if it is metallic.

Thanks for that it makes sense but what do we do with the extra wires that come from the second wire that feed into the upstairs switch ie the black, red and bare earth?

I didn't think you had disconnected those!!
What are the markings on the switch? Com, L1, L2? If so, pop these wires in L1 and L2 along with the other wires. Earth goes to the back box and to the switch if required.

Sponsored Links
Sorry I should have made it clear that we disconnected both of them.

Yes it is an L, L1 and L2 switch. Does it matter which wires the red and black from the first cable mix with the red, blue and yellow from the second cable.

Also I assume that it will not matter which connections the wires go into.

Thanks

Hopefully this will make sense:
electrics:lighting:2waysw.jpg

Note the black wires should have a piece or red sleeve on them to indicate they are lives.

Thank you so much it worked and we have been trying to work this out for ages. Sarah :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back