Has the gas annual check been more restricted?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has the gas annual check been more restricted. i.e. an analyser need to be used on the boilers to find out if they burn too much gas and if that is the case the boiler will be condemned. This is what I have been told by my gas engineer which frankly I do not . trust him easily as he has been trying to increase the charges for the last few years. For example last year he asked for more (more than £40 per check) claiming that he has moved out of town and it would cost him more for petrol.

Sponsored Links
A gas analyser is used to check products of combustion which if outside parameters set they can be classed as dangerous! You engineer is right to use his and his costs are probably below average! Let him get on with it. The cost of running gas analysers is not cheap as they have to be calibrated every year.

Although if he's moved out of town then that is not really your problem!

Count yorself lucky... I charge £75 per inspection and am very strict. Land lords hate me but if they don't like the price they are at liberty to go elsewhere.

Landlords rent their properties to make a profit, tennants pay good money for their homes and it is my job to make sure that the tennant is safe, show a profit and to sleep soundly at night..

Neil,
Thanks for your constructive reply. All the boiler are room sealed fan operated boiler, ther are semi 90, Worcester 24 CDI, Worcester 30 CDI and alpha E. all the products of combustion are let outside and within the legal distance from the nearest window. Hence, I can not understand why it is an issue. I can understand if it is related to a gas cooker because they are inside.

Sponsored Links
All modern boilers have a test point on them specifically for taking combustion readings and still have emission levels where if exceeded could be classed as dangerous.

Neil,
Thanks for your constructive reply. All the boiler are room sealed fan operated boiler, ther are semi 90, Worcester 24 CDI, Worcester 30 CDI and alpha E. all the products of combustion are let outside and within the legal distance from the nearest window. Hence, I can not understand why it is an issue. I can understand if it is related to a gas cooker because they are inside.

Are you for real? Or this another wibd up?

Are you for real? Or this another wibd up?[/quote]

Do not understand your reply, if you can advice positively, please explain more

Has the gas annual check been more restricted. i.e. an analyser need to be used on the boilers to find out if they burn too much gas and if that is the case the boiler will be condemned.

A very basic way of looking at it, but broadly correct. The analyser will measure various components of the flue gases to see whether they are within the manufacturers' set parameters, or within industry standards where the manufacturer has not specified anything. If they are outside these parameters, the boiler is not burning correctly and is potentially dangerous. As you're apparently only having a landlord's check rather than a combined boiler service and landlord's check, it is quite likely that any boiler not burning correctly will be shut down. If you were having a service & landlords then your engineer should be making every effort to fix the problem. A combined S&L would, of course, cost you significantly more but would be significantly less than the cost of a new boiler...

This is what I have been told by my gas engineer which frankly I do not trust him easily as he has been trying to increase the charges for the last few years.

He's been trying to increase his charges!? How terrible of him. Do you think that somehow his living costs and business running expenses have stayed the same, whilst everyone else's have gone up? His food bills, electricity bills, gas bills, diesel bills, van insurance, business insurance, registration fees etc etc have increased just as yours have, and so of course his prices are going to rise.

The rent has stayed the same and I am afraid of increasing it in case the tenant move out, there is a hefty mortgage on the properties. However, I am not against charges increase as along as it is said up front and in a professional way not in a threatening way. Furthermore, the average charges for gas check for a property with two appliances is £40 where I live. In fact I rang 3 gas engineers, 2 stated £40 and one asked for £50. it does work out better for some to do all properties in one go. £160 for an hour an half work is not bad. All the properties within 2 minutes walk from each other.

£160 for an hour an half work is not bad.

And you think all of that £160 goes in his beer fund and there are no running costs or tax to cover?

If you have mortgaged up to the eye balls in order to be a landlord that is not the engineer's fault?

We charge £100+VAT for landlord's inspections which include the servicing of a boiler and one fire.

Why don't you put your location in your profile like most others do so we can put your charges in perspective?

I charge £65 for the first check but many others charge up to £85.

Where there are more than one to be done at the same time I have been charging £65 for the first and just £35 for the rest if within the same parking place access. Will put up price next year to £45 for others.

Tony

Swindon, wiltishire where I live. I Also have friend who lives in Manchester and get charged £40 per property.
My gas do is not VAT registered and always take cash and never provided a receipt.

I am really biting my tongue here , so you can afford to buy a place that you rent out to multiple occupants but you complain that a qualified engineer puts his livelyhood on the line so you can conform with the law ??????

Why don't you put your location in your profile like most others do so we can put your charges in perspective?

I charge £65 for the first check but many others charge up to £85.

Where there are more than one to be done at the same time I have been charging £65 for the first and just £35 for the rest if within the same parking place access. Will put up price next year to £45 for others.

Tony

What's happening Tony, no mention of £84? :D

Stop whinging most of us on here would charge at least £60 for a cp12, £40 is the best you will probably get and you still complain, 90% of landlords are stingy barstewards. Even if he does take cash i doubt it goes straight in his pocket as the certificate he gives you is a paper trail.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back