HELP: FOCALPOINT FLUELESS GAS FIRES

I feel it needs to be made clear a few points regarding draughts which seems to be a concern to old school plumbers regrregarding flueless gas fires.
Unfortunately plumbers have NEVER been on a course that informs people about ''AIR FLOW''.
Too lazy to go on such a course or just too old to accept change ?

Draughts ? well- it is hard to pump air into a already filled up room . GOT IT ?.
Air only flows into a room that has the capacity to accommodate the new air .
Plumbers just cant figure that bit out.
CANT put 5 gallons into a tank/room that only holds 3 gallons.
No capacity for extra air- no draught.

I rest my case .

If that was true there would be no allowance for adventitious (google it) ventilation in the gas regs.
Any more CLUELESS gas fire ventilation tips? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I feel it needs to be made clear a few points regarding draughts which seems to be a concern to old school plumbers regrregarding flueless gas fires.
Unfortunately plumbers have NEVER been on a course that informs people about ''AIR FLOW''.
Too lazy to go on such a course or just too old to accept change ?

Draughts ? well- it is hard to pump air into a already filled up room . GOT IT ?.
CANT put 5 gallons into a tank/room that only holds 3 gallons.
No capacity for extra air- no draught.

I rest my case .

If that was true there would be no allowance for adventitious (google it) ventilation in the gas regs.
Any more CLUELESS gas fire ventilation
tips? :rolleyes:

Sorry. You are BOTH wrong!

Sooey, if you are allowed advantageius vent allowance, you have a flue. The rising column of hot air will be replaced by air comong through gaps and/or provided ventilation.

PP. you are pushing a fair point (FF fires are NOT the product from hell) to stupid extremes. A poorly positioned vent WILL be a problem, and a slice of luck is required. The ENTIRE point of a vent is to allow ingrees of air - it only becoms a nuisance when it becomes a (feelable?) draught. The lcever (and sometimes impossible) part is finding a suitable position - that is acceptable in every way.

PP - why not give up? A lot of guys are wrongly prejudiced against FF's but they still know a hell of a lot more than you.

For what it is worth, I sometimes suggest fitting a vent BEFORE investing in the fire, to test the water. That obviously depends upon the season.

Sooey, if you are allowed advantageius vent allowance, you have a flue. The rising column of hot air will be replaced by air comong through gaps and/or provided ventilation.

Fair comment, but the point of mentioning adventitious ventilation was to show that air can enter or leave a room even when it's well sealed, double glazing, laminate floors etc.
That was in answer to this...

It would have to be an hermetically sealed room for that to be true.

Sponsored Links
Why did I have a huge draft in my office when the builders had an exposed section of wall for a few weeks? No air was being moved around by combustion. The door was closed. Yet my tootsies could feel a fooking gale blowing across the floor.

:mrgreen:

y

It would have to be an hermetically sealed room for that to be true.
[/quote]

Also,he ignores the clear fact that wind blowing into a vent will temoirarily raise the pressure within the space. The guy IS a dick, and I vote that his burblings are ignored.

FiremanT";p="2710541 said:
y

Also,he ignores the clear fact that wind blowing into a vent will temoirarily raise the pressure within the space. The guy IS a dick, and I vote that his burblings are ignored.

Not when he's giving potentially dangerous or wrong advice out, like using an angle grinder in a loft or siting vents behind radiators. We know the man is an idiot but people reading his posts don't.
He keeps trolling the plumbing forum to wind people up by trying to tell them how to do their job, and then starts a thread complaining about the insults he recieves from plumbers.
He's obviously got a thing about plumbers and gas safe people, probably failed the tests......which takes some doing. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back