Help please - Redfyre Centrajet 18/28

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Boiler would not run after running out of oil and refilling tank, so we removed oil feed, sucked through oil (YUK!) and bingo it worked....for 25 secs. Cut out for 3 secs and then automatically fired up again for 25secs, exactly. This cycle continues so we have switched it off and need some advice please.

Sponsored Links
Well it suggests that there may be air in the oil line which needs bleeding out. Or as you ran out of oil, the oil filter may have become blocked with sediment. I'd clean the filter and try again. can't understand how it can automatically start up again
:rolleyes:

Where will we find the oil filer, please?

When I sucked the oil through it seemed to be running without air splutters for half a bucket full, so I think its not air locks. Also the on off cycle is always 25 secs on and 3 off - the rads heat up but we figured its not good to let it do this.....jolly cold last night!!

Sponsored Links
Should be a filter in the outlet pipe quite near the tank. (don't forget to turn tank valve off first)
:rolleyes:

In that situation I'd first of all drain the fuel tank water trap at the low end of the tank. If this hasn't been done for some time (which is usual) you could be drawing water through either instead of or combined with the fuel.

Just slowly open the little vent and catch what comes out in a bucket. Having got about half a gallon close the vent and check what you've got. If its all water, go back and drain out some more. If you've got a mixture of fuel and water then you've cleared the water and the fuel which floats on top of the water has started to come through. Generally you should do this every second or third fill of the tank.

Having cleared any water I'd then clean the filters:
A) at the tank outlet near the outlet valve on the tank and like Mandate says "make sure you turn off the valve first". Then
B) remove and clean the pump filter which is under one of the blank plugs on the pump body, you'll need to refer to the pump data sheet to identify which plug or maybe one of the other members may be able to tell you which one. Again make sure that the tank valve is offwhile doing this.

After that I'd put an large soft cloth under the fuel pump and carefully bleed the pump through the bleed screw which should be at the top of the pump body. Make sure that the cloth catches all the fuel that comes through as you don't want fuel spilt around the burner.

If you've done all this the burner should start and run. If you still have a problem the only other thing is to replace the nozzle which has a small filter attached to it.

Personally I clean all the external dirt off and then put the old nozzles into a small pot of white vinegar for a few weeks. Then I blow them through in the reverse direction of the fuel flow with compressed air and they work fine again.

Sounds like a lot of work but its the penalty you pay for letting the tank run dry, it allows all the cr*p that has collected in the tank over the years to be drawn through and f**k up all the filters etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back