Hot shower switch and cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have a 9.5kw Triton shower. I have run a 10mm cable from the CU to an isolation switch outside the bathroom (12 meters) and a 16mm cable from isolation switch to the shower (further 3 meters). Using shower for 10 minutes then no problem, but longer than that and the 10mm cable gets very hot and the isolation switch also gets very hot and starts to smell chemically. Can anyone suggest a course of action to remedy this? Or should just ignore, seems to still work ok?

P.S. yes, I did say 10mm and then 16mm. I ran out of cable!
The cable is running along the top of the skirting in a bit of trunking all the way.

Cheers,

Stuart

Sponsored Links
It might be too late if your cable or switch has already been damaged by heat :(

Indeed, you'll need to strip back the cable to bright copper and probably replace the switch

Thats 40amps + so all terminations must be very good or they will fail.

Stuart, is that a new install? Did you notify the work :?:

Sponsored Links
If the termination gets hot, the pvc sheath will melt and the heat will turn the copper black.

You'll never get a good connection on the copper so you need to cut it back.

And then having done that and reconnected you should do an R1+R2 test, and insulation resistance, to confirm that all is well.

And compare the test results with the ones that you got when you tested and certified the original install.............

I guess you did notify the work as well??

- Works in a special location (bathroom)
- Was it a new circuit?

Hi,

Thanks everyone.
I took the switch off and found that the supply blue neutral cable had melted at the end and the copper had gone off color. So I stripped it back and replaced the switch (which had also melted slightly around the neutral terminal). Its now fine and not getting hot at all.

I dont know what you mean by notify. Notify who?

Cheers,

Stu

Surely your work involved replacing the cable with the same spec. and same route as the old one which suffered rodent or impact damage. In which case you don't need to notify it :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back