Hotpoint WF860 Ultima Washing Machine - Dead!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, have a problem with the above washing machine and hope someone can help.

I've done a search on this and other forums but the only faults I can find for this machine all relate to F error codes on the LCD display, so aren't relevant.

I've lived in this flat for 2 years and this machine was here when I moved in. It's been absolutley fine til now. I went away about a week ago leaving the machine turned off at the control panel but switched on at the wall. I returned two days ago to find that the kitchen sockets were all off - the RCD on the fusebox for the kitchen sockets had tripped. I reset it, and all was working - apart from the washing machine. I've checked the fuse in the washing machine plug and tried another appliance in the socket that its normally plugged into, all fine.

I know that the machine is getting power, because when I switch it on at the wall, I hear a 'click' and the door lock prevents the door from opening. If I switch off at the wall, I hear another click a few seconds later and the door can be opened.

The LCD display is dead so no fault codes apply, and the machine does't respond to any button presses on the control panel.

Any help would be appreciated - sorry for the long post, didn't want to leave any important info out which could help with diagnosis!

Sponsored Links
Remove the lid is the consol wires still attached. Unplug and refit. Door lock should take about 60 secs to unlock. Then check motor brushes. After that u poss got a pcb fault.

Thanks for the reply - hoping you can expand on it a bit...

I've removed the lid - the connector to the control panel has a number of red wires. It's still fitted to the control panel PCB. I've unplugged it, cleaned the contacts and refitted. Still dead.

When I switch on at the wall, the door locks after about 2 secs. When I switch off, the door unlocks after approx 45secs.

How do I check the motor brushes and what am I checking for?

Which PCB needs replacing? I believe there is one at the bottom of the machine (on the right hand side when viewed from the front) as well as the control panel PCB.

Go to you tube to see how motor brushes come out. Pcb will be at the back as u said. There's a company that referb pcbs google for emw in Nottingham.

Sponsored Links
OK, so worn brushes could cause this fault and kill the whole machine?

Based on your experience, which do you think is more likely; a PCB fault or worn brushes?

Given that the RCD for the ring main was tripped too, I'd suspect a fault on the PCB.... but that's me speaking from the position of a rank amateur!!!

Cheers for your help.

If the brushes are worn down they could take pcb out.

OK I've just got the motor out. Can't see any brushes!

The info on the label is as follows:

CIM 2/55 - 132/HP
3 PHASE INDUCTION MOTOR

If this is a brushless motor, would I be right in thinking the only other thing to replace would be the main PCB?

Yes pcb is faulty there's 2 sorts of motor for your mc yours is brush less.new pcb req.

Well seeing as I had the motor out I thought I might as well get the PCB out to see which type it was (as per the EMW website).

As soon as I cracked open the plastic box containing the board, I saw this damage:

It looks as if a track has completely burnt out. There's also an inch long scorch mark on the underside of the board just below the yellow transformer and large capacitor next to it.

I've ordered a replacement board from EMW. Is this sort of damage common when you've replaced boards or is it something I should be worried about?

Nothing new I've seen boards like charcoal and burnt to a crisp , it's just cheap components put together some boards have got made in china / Romania / chez republic / Poland etc. There's nothing to worry about just the norm.

I agree, I've had something similar before and re-soldered the track. I got lucky, machine worked fine.

Hi does the motor require an allen key to remove as ive undone 2 bolts and cant see if its a pin or an allen key - also does this motor have brushes on as i cant feel any around motor - regars Mark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back