red wire

black wire

yellow green wire

On my new dimmer switch I have:

L1

L2

Arrow with a curly line

and the earth connection

Now I know the metal dimmer switch, the yellow and green wire go to the earth connector

so where does the RED and BLACK wires connect to?

Thank you for your help, im standing by awaiting advice

Sponsored Links
Red to L1 and Black to wavy line.

Were there no instructions with the switch?

no instruction its just the dimmer switch by its self, ive googled it but i get conflicting info, i will try to post a image

Sponsored Links
hey peeps ive uploaded a picture of the wall wires and the dimmer switch it self via imigur, hopefully someone can figure this out and help me as ive already done it wrong and it tripped the fusebox :)

If you have tripped the fuse box there is a good chance the dimmer is now busted...

How did you connect it to make it trip the fuse box?

If you have tripped the fuse box there is a good chance the dimmer is now busted...

How did you connect it to make it trip the fuse box?
I don't see how you could connect a dimmer up wrong with no neutral to destroy it. I suspect a live Line to Earth short but you would hope he wasn't doing it live!

Now as in after it went bang?!!!?! :LOL:

The switch would have to be really faulty to cause an MCB to trip, even if the insides were all blown and shorted, the light(s) would just be on all the time, with no dimming action. Unless lamp blew at first switch on, which tripped MCB and damaged dimmer?

I replaced 4 halogen lamps in a spotlight bar with supposedly dimmable LEDs. Tripped the 6A MCB as soon as I turned on the dimmer. Took the lamps back to the supplier and they all tested OK - I expected the Clipsal dimmer to be knackered, but it worked fine. I've since replaced 3 of the 4 halogens with a different brand of LED, with no problems.

Is that a genuine Crabtree or a low cost fake which might have a short between the shaft of the knob, ( live when it should be isolated ) and the metal front plate ?.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back