How to wire up my dimmer switch?

Sponsored Links
I don't see how you could connect a dimmer up wrong with no neutral to destroy it.
With the wiring changes at the light, it looks like there could well now be a neutral at the switch!

thats seems likely, the neutral is the black wire?

You know i used that led light screwdriver, that thing that tests if a wire has live current running through it, so the red wire lights up but the 2nd red does not light up but it plays a part, not sure though, im currently using a table lamp to light up my room :)

That seems likely, the neutral is the black wire?
It wasn't a neutral wire it was switched line, but if the wiring has been altered at the light, it is likely it is now neutral and will destroy any switch or dimmer fitted.
I can't return the wires to the original configuration because the existing bayonet ceiling light had IN LOOP LINE EARTH from six wires connected from the ceiling, but the new ceiling light has L EARTH N and requires 3 wire connections so that's why it's puzzling.
You have to provide your own connectors for any additional wiring, some methods of wring would require several additional connectors.
How much does it cost for a competent electrician for 30 mins work with call out charge?
I don't know where you live, but we would charge no where near £200 for replacing a light and switch. Probably nearer £40ish if you were local, which would cover up to an hours work and travel etc. In fact, we could do it much cheaper than £200 if you called me out on the out of hours emergency phone and I sorted it at 3AM!

Sponsored Links
About the same as a two good quality dimmer switches !

DS

MROOD - post a picture of the ceiling wires and the light fitting connections, this is probably a very simple thing to wire correctly.

a professional electrician, they charge like £120 call out charge
Reaally? Where on earth do you live?

hah? im under the impression that a electrician costs an arm and a leg right? if it is really 40ish then i could afford that, im based in Aylesbury Buckinghmshire I just have to be careful with what i can spare as i was made redundant from my job last month hence me trying to do it my self

MROOD - post a picture of the ceiling wires and the light fitting connections, this is probably a very simple thing to wire correctly.

on the ceiling

nzhlx3.jpg

30ijrza.jpg

my old light

2ia9ykx.jpg

this is the new light im trying to fit on, with 3 connections and i have 6 on the ceiling

2qs74pj.jpg

wall socket for light switch

4kb3ba.jpg

finally the dimmer switch, somthing i may have to re buy as it may be blown

16hpveu.jpg

i did get a electrician, some Romanian guy popped over and connected the new light to the ceiling, but then the light was permanently on ,
That person is not an electrician.

lol i figured that when he couldn't fix the light, he seemed confused as me, a bad referral from a friend....

he said there is not suppose to be 6 wires, 2 red 2 black and 2 yellow,
He is wrong.

Disconnect the black wires one at a time when the light no longer works that will be the NEUTRAL feed from the mains. If you disconnect the remaining black that (should be the live feed from the switch ) that would be connected to the L on the light fitting, the reds should be connected together using connector block and do not connect to the light fitting.

If you are unsure do NOT attempt to do this , get an electrician.

As you have been asked already , post some pics of the wiring.

Regards,

DS

Well you either need a multimeter or a battery and bulb to work this out. Simple enough though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back