How to wire up my dimmer switch?

Sponsored Links
It doesn't get much simpler than that! You need to work out which of the 2 cables goes down to the switch, as stated above. After that it's easy!
You have the 'dining room light' //www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:Lighting-Circuit-layouts

yes that pic looks like the same that i have, but what confuses me is the new light i have has six wires on the ceiling but
Disconnect the black wires one at a time when the light no longer works that will be the NEUTRAL feed from the mains. If you disconnect the remaining black that (should be the live feed from the switch ) that would be connected to the L on the light fitting, the reds should be connected together using connector block and do not connect to the light fitting.

If you are unsure do NOT attempt to do this , get an electrician.

As you have been asked already , post some pics of the wiring.

Regards,

DS

pics posted on page 3

It doesn't get much simpler than that! You need to work out which of the 2 cables goes down to the switch, as stated above. After that it's easy!
You have the 'dining room light' //www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:Lighting-Circuit-layouts

yes its the dining room light, looks familiar, so I figure out the black and red wire that goes to the switch, the remaing red and black goes to the new light i have, 3 connections only, red in, black in and earth yellow green in, what do i do with the red and black that goes to the switch ?

Oh come on, MROOD.

yes its the dining room light, looks familiar, so I figure out the black and red wire that goes to the switch, the remaing red and black goes to the new light
Edit - sorry, I misread that but no.
The two blacks will go separately to the light. One switched live, one neutral.
The reds will be connected together but to nothing else.

i have, 3 connections only, red in, black in and earth yellow green in,
upload_2016-8-7_20-51-17.png

what do i do with the red and black that goes to the switch ?
upload_2016-8-7_20-48-32.png

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back