Immigration.

There are principals and there is being pragmatic.

May seems to have the non midas touch.

I have pointed out before. We could have chosen to manage migration properly within the EU. May was Home Sec for 6 years and did nothing. Either she has no idea what she is doing or this is some clever masterplan to set the UK adrift.

Those harking back to a past where the UK was a dominant trading nation in the victorian era and during the empire forget now there is China, Germany, Japan all with larger economies. There is a resurgent Russia. At a time when we should be getting closer to strengthen our economic ties against powerful nations we are setting ourselves to stand alone.
A resurgent Russia?... Indeed, they are a superb trading partner and many from StPete and Moscow love British stuff. Outside of the EU, the UK can be free to trde with Russia without restriction, perhaps we could be the gateway for EU companies who wish to sell to Russia but can't because of EU embargoes to sell... For a percentage of course..
Granted that Maggie May does have the abillity to turn everything she touches to S**T..

Sponsored Links
China & Japan are poor examples because they are rapidly destroying their environment in the name of capitalism and ''growth''. Maybe ''growth'' is no longer what we need. If you ask me the economic system is failing and it will be a worldwide failure, and the answer will be localised manufacturing and production, perhaps the end to the banking system as we know it.
Indeed, the planet is of finite size, can only support a finite number of people for a limited time, so constant growth is not possible

A resurgent Russia?... Indeed, they are a superb trading partner and many from StPete and Moscow love British stuff. Outside of the EU, the UK can be free to trde with Russia without restriction, perhaps we could be the gateway for EU companies who wish to sell to Russia but can't because of EU embargoes to sell... For a percentage of course..
Granted that Maggie May does have the abillity to turn everything she touches to S**T..

Russia meddling with foreign elections - that shows some confidence.

The Russian embargo is selective to the banking and energy sectors rather than a blanket ban. I think EU -Russia trade is about 300bn euros so unlikley they wanted to effect that too much.

What can we offer?

You can reduce a nation to a set of four factors of production.

Land - natural resources - we don't have much in the shape of gas, coal, oil etc
Labour - quantity and quality of labour (but I thought thats why we wanted Brexit to cut this - we are full up)
Capital - Assets and wealth (but most of this is tied up in house prices)
Entrepreneur - World class innovation, ideas, (but we want to restrict foreign students coming to the uk universities )
We do still have enough coal to power the UK at current usage for 200 years
Brexit does not mean that we close our borders, it means that we can control who we do allow in..How many scrap men and Big issue vendors do we really need?
Anyone who thinks that Universities are entrepreneurial are deluded... If they were smart, they would charge more for foreign students to allow UK students free tuition

Sponsored Links
We do still have enough coal to power the UK at current usage for 200 years
Brexit does not mean that we close our borders, it means that we can control who we do allow in..How many scrap men and Big issue vendors do we really need?
Anyone who thinks that Universities are entrepreneurial are deluded... If they were smart, they would charge more for foreign students to allow UK students free tuition

Have you been to University? They already charge foreign students way more than EU/UK students.

You also misunderstood the term - entrepreneurial it was not meant to apply to universities but as an example of whether a nation has the technical knowledge, ability to develop new processes etc which can be developed in universities.

Last edited:

Scotland charges more to foreign students, provided they are from England, Wales or Northern Ireland.

Residents of Scotland and the 27, not.

EU rules prevent citizens of other EU countries being treated less favourably than your own residents.

Poor old disUK does not have such a rule for UK citizens.

edit: strange error corrected

Last edited:
Scotland charges more to foreign students, provided they are from England, Wales or Northern Ireland.

EU rules prevent citizens of other EU countries being treated less favourably than your own residents.

Yet another reason to leave the EU.

80s or 90s You went to university.

STEM courses should be free. What about Economics, Management, Business?
The NHS is stuffed with unigrads with Economics, Management or Business orientated degrees... Just goes to show how carp the courses are and not worth a carrot

The NHS is stuffed with unigrads with Economics, Management or Business orientated degrees... Just goes to show how carp the courses are and not worth a carrot

Come on Fire. Where are the stats to back this up?

JohnD, you quoted something I didn't say.

I did what can be classed as a crap course. I have a degree in photography. I did work for many years as a photographer on the back of it and earned a fair whack. My uni was free from fees thankfully but to some it was a mickey mouse degree.

I do disagree with charging students, esp so much. The price has increased hugely and has priced bright but poorer people out of the opportunity. I also disagree with this years change to now charge nurses, midwives etc when we badly need them. Crazy government.

Sponsored Links
Back