IR testing a USB socket.

No, I have been able to do it across dimmers, with no adverse effect to the electronics, but I am content with just removing the sockets on these occasions. Then remarking on my test procedures, on the EIC.
Fair enough - I'm not sure that you really have much in the way of options. As I said before, I suppose that you could just remove the sockets (and not re-create the ring) and then IR test each segment of the ring separately, but I guess it's "six of one and half a dozen of the other" as to whether that would represent more or less work/time!

Kind Regards, John

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Fair enough - I'm not surely that you really have much in the way of options. As I said before, I suppose that you could just remove the sockets (and not re-create the ring) and then IR test each segment of the ring separately, but I guess it's "six of one and half a dozen of the other" as to whether that would represent more or less work/time!
Possibly quicker to IR every other socket, doing ins and outs?
I did notice that on the MI that came with one of the USB type sockets, it stated no Megger testing to be done! Which caused me a problem as I have Megger test instruments!;)

Its just that you keep bleating on about this which, while it is amusing for some, causes many of the real users of this forum (ie DIYers) to give up in disgust.
So carry on, if you like, and I will respond in a similar manner as above.

Sponsored Links
Possibly quicker to IR every other socket, doing ins and outs?
Possibly - it 'depends'. If there is only a small number of USB sockets, but many ordinary sockets, on the ring, then there might only be two or three 'ring segments' to test.
I did notice that on the MI that came with one of the USB type sockets, it stated no Megger testing to be done! Which caused me a problem as I have Megger test instruments!;)
:) Mind you, as someone who still occasionally finds himself talking about "biros", "hoovers" and "henlys" etc., I suppose I shouldn't criticise!

Kind Regards, John

I did notice that on the MI that came with one of the USB type sockets, it stated no Megger testing to be done! Which caused me a problem as I have Megger test instruments!
Just out of interest. What make of socket is that?
Would it be OK to Metrel, or Fluke the socket??

Oh no, here comes another transformer/low voltage/plugtop/ scenario..

There won't be any transformers, just a very small switch mode power supply
Not at all. There is a big difference between a transformer and the bunch of electronic components in these USB sockets. For a start a transformer is an AC device, not 5v DC.
Its just that you keep bleating on about this which, while it is amusing for some, causes many of the real users of this forum (ie DIYers) to give up in disgust.
So carry on, if you like, and I will respond in a similar manner as above.

Don't you think that correcting DIYers mistakes is a good thing? After some electrical mistakes can and do kill even if this one probably won't.

Use a 13amp fuse connection unit with DP switch in order to feed one of these things - Flick the DP switch OFF before testing - job sorted - what could be easier and safer!

Normally there is only around 100 mm of cable between the FCU and socket, assuming the FCU is immediately above the socket. You could megger the short piece of cable before connecting the USB Socket, and of course the USB Transformer gets backed up with a 13amp fuse too.

If that was the case I personally would install socket circuit and terminate cable at FCU, drop to the spur and leave unconnected but cores separated, then IR the lot.

Normally there is only around 100 mm of cable between the FCU and socket, assuming the FCU is immediately above the socket. You could megger the short piece of cable before connecting the USB Socket, and of course the USB Transformer gets backed up with a 13amp fuse too.
Just to be clear ... are you suggesting that every USB socket should be permanently fed via an adjacent FCU, just to facilitate the (once in a blue moon) IR testing of the circuit?

Kind Regards, John

[QUOTE="kai, post: 3579382, member: 10987"

and of course the USB Transformer gets backed up with a 13amp fuse too.[/QUOTE]

As I have already said there is no transformer and a 13a fuse for a tiny switch mode power supply would be absolutely useless. It is almost certainly designed with protection built in anyway.
But the very idea of feeding the USB combined socket that way would not go down with the customer who just wants his socket upgraded without digging out his wall to fit an unnecessary FCU.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back