IR testing a USB socket.

Sponsored Links
Interesting, given that MK are one of the more reputable manufacturers.
Indeed - but is it perhaps the case the the accessories we are talking about are outside of the scope of BS1363, and therefore cannot claim compliance with it?

Kind Regards, John

BS 5733:2010+A1:2014
General requirements for electrical accessories. Specification

BS EN 61558-2-16:2009+A1:2013
Safety of transformers, reactors, power supply units and similar products for supply voltages up to 1 100 V. Particular requirements and tests for switch mode power supply units and transformers for switch mode power supply units

The other two are generic EMC standards.

Sponsored Links
I would have expected a declaration of conformity to whatever the USB standard is.
Edit:
  • IEC 62680-1-1:2015
    Universal serial bus interfaces for data and power - Part 1-1: Common components - USB Battery Charging Specification, Revision 1.2

is it perhaps the case the the accessories we are talking about are outside of the scope of BS1363, and therefore cannot claim compliance with it?
Well, the 13A socket-outlets are within the scope.
That sounds fair enough. Do I take it that it is possible for a product to claim compliance with BS1363 if only some parts of the product are within the scope of that Standard? For example, could a generator, inverter or whatever which included a 13A outlet claim "compliance with BS1363" - and, if so, how on earth would one do a BS1363 temperature-rise test on an outlet that was built in to a generator (or whatever)?

Kind Regards, John

I would have expected a declaration of conformity to whatever the USB standard is.
Edit: IEC 62680-1-1:2015 Universal serial bus interfaces for data and power - Part 1-1: Common components - USB Battery Charging Specification, Revision 1.2
Well, I'm just quoting what it says on their "Technical Specification" sheet - I suppose that doesn't preclude the possibility that the product may be compliant with some Standards not mentioned there.

Kind Regards, John

could a generator, inverter or whatever which included a 13A outlet claim "compliance with BS1363"
The generator or whatever couldn't. The USB + dual socket outlet though is primarily a device within the scope of BS1363, and I would certainly expect it to comply.

I suppose that doesn't preclude the possibility that the product may be compliant with some Standards not mentioned there.
If they can demonstrate conformity then I'd be surprised if they didn't mention them. The absence of a claim to conform to BS 1363 or BS EN 62680 seems suspicious to me.

could a generator, inverter or whatever which included a 13A outlet claim "compliance with BS1363"
The generator or whatever couldn't. The USB + dual socket outlet though is primarily a device within the scope of BS1363, and I would certainly expect it to comply.
I would imagine that it probably does comply, since I doubt that addition of the USB module would materially affect performance in the required tests - but it seems odd that they are not claiming compliance (since they obviously do for their standard sockets). Maybe, despite your view, they feel that it is not within the scope of BS1363?

Kind Regards, John

If they can demonstrate conformity then I'd be surprised if they didn't mention them. The absence of a claim to conform to BS 1363 or BS EN 62680 seems suspicious to me.
I've just had a quick look at the Screwfix website - the 'USB sockets' from BG, LAP and Varilight all claim compliance with BS1363-2 and EN 60950-1. However, again, there is no claim of BS1363 compliance for the MK one.

Kind Regards, John

I've just ordered one of the MK USB sockets and one of the Euro module ones as well to see how they are constructed and if they are any good. They're bloody expensive!

I've just ordered one of the MK USB sockets and one of the Euro module ones as well to see how they are constructed and if they are any good. They're bloody expensive!
In view of the recent discussion, it will be interesting to learn whether either bear a BS1363 marking, since that Standard is not mentioned in the technical documentation of either.

Kind Regards, John

How much power do the use when not charging anything?
The ones which are shutter-switched (like, apparently, the MK USB modules {not the MK double sockets}) will use zero power when not charging anything - or, at least, when nothing is plugged into the USB ports.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back