IS THIS DANGEROUS (jointed water pipes above CU)

southern electric have said they do checks , you have to pay 4pound a month via dd , and that coveres unlimted call outs , parts and labour , but if you need something like a new fuse box etc then thats a chargeable job , so ive signed up for that , my local council do free home safety checks but you have to have a child under 5 , be disabled or be over 65
so that dont apply to me but i will be ringing them to see if they offer anything else .

£4 a month wont include a PIR so if it's unsafe it won't make any difference. A home safety check isn't going to include formal inspection & testing of your electrics.

If you are concerned you should contact your landlord in writing, as JohnD told you on your other thread.

Sponsored Links
As stated, the £4 a month is not going to let you know the soundness of the installation, you need a periodic inspection report, this will have to be paid for sadly :(

This is just a storm in a teacup. OK, so it doesn't look nice to have two compression joints directly above a CU. But let's keep this in perspective:

There's no sign there of dodgy pipe joints - and even if those joints were to subsequently leak - and there's no reason that they should - it wouldn't be the end of the world would it? Because one or other of the protective devices would operate.

Put it another way. Suppose the CU were to be mounted below a bathroom or en-suite (as they often are) with the water pipes and waste pipes directly above, but neatly out of sight just above the ceiling: Would it then be any 'safer'?

Storm in a teacup.

Lucia.

Sponsored Links
This is just a storm in a teacup.

It's a typical domestic potential bodge. It could be fine or it could be rubbish, either way there will be no paperwork and it will not have been tested since it was done, if at all (typically). An inspection can uncover more but without the testing plenty of potentially serious faults can go uncovered.

It's just standard advice when people ask about the state of their electrics - GET A PIR

In this case it is a rented flat so the electrics are the responsibility of the landlord, so assurance should be sought from them with regard to the safety of the installation, which they have a legal obligation to maintain.

With regard to the water pipe, it's presence and installation is just adding to the sketchiness of what we've been told. If it is the cold main then what the hell is it doing in 15mm chrome and if not then why is there a clamp on it?

Nonsense Skenk. Your -could be's' and supposition are of no help to the O/P.

The O/P has asked a specific question regarding the proximity of a water pipe to the CU. Therefore, he has no need of a blessed PIR,

If anything, he would be better to ask a plumber to verify the soundness of those pipe joints.

In my estimation, going by that photo, there's nothing to be concerned about.

Lucia.

Half-inch galvanised is bigger than 15mm copper, so I thought it looked more like a chromed gas pipe, but I really don't know.

Ok fair enough looking again it doesn't appear to be chrome. Any you're right this thread is about the pipe I was getting confused with the other thread started by the same OP, if you read that as well it would appear they are concerned about the state of their electrics, hence my advice of get a PIR (or contact landlord/agent . . .)

No self-respecting gas engineer would use such compression joints.

It's clearly a 15mm water pipe. And its proximity to the consumer unit does not pose a threat.

Lucia.

not very nicely done. Looks like he re-used a bit of scrap. It still looks like chrome to me. Do you suppose the chrome was ground off before making the joints? I would guess not, so they may not be very sound.

That's OK, Skenk. But no, I haven't read that 'other thread'. So I'm addressing this one only.

Lucia.

Come along chaps: this isn't chrome pipe - it's merely painted copper pipe.

Regardless of which: if a compression joint were to fail, then it would do so within 48 hours of being made. The O/P has said that he or she has been in residence for quite a while longer than that.

You could stare at that pipe forever expecting a slight leak - it would have the same entertainment value of watching paint drying......

Lucia.

Op- Do you know what that pipe feeds?

Is there a electric shower unit / bathroom the other side of that wall ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back