is this roof a pukka job?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've had a new EPDM roof and after the first decent rain there's standing water over about 1/5th of it.

It's fine by me as long as it's a pukka job.

Here it is:
http://i40.tinypic.com/104g66d.jpg

They-re check-a-trade and we haven't settled the bill yet so we still have some leverage. Should we be asking them to sort anything out or can we cheerfully pay up.

TIA.

Sponsored Links
If you paid for a roof cover then its fine. If you paid for a new roof with timber furrings and deck then it may not be fine.

But its not a great deal of ponding in any case

As woody said!
Don't worry about it leaking that should never be a problem.

The roof looks as though its been fitted correctly, the ponding is because theres not a decent fall on the roof, ie firring strips not big enough.
If you knew this before hand, they would have fitted extra firrings, but you wont have any leakage problems.

Sponsored Links
It looks a tidy job. I'd like to know the cost too though.

Looks about 25 square metres, Supply and fit new OSB strand T&G board, Fully adhere rubber, field area water based, all edges contact adhesive.
Fit all trims, about £835 with 20yr gaurantee.
Havent allowed for stripping existing, as it could take couple of hrs or half the day.
A job like that can be done in less than a day.

Daterbal, We have fitted a lot of these roofs, I get good prices for materials, from one of the biggest suppliers, If you look at all the merchants springing up now, selling epdm their material prices are nearly twice as much as we are paying, look at the rip of prices in Screwfix, if I was buying their stuff and pricing accordinaly, I would loose work.
I wont go into all the discounts I get, but pay £6 pr metre for rubber.
All our stuff is Firestone, I always look when new stockist open up and the adhesives are not Firestone products, they have offered me good rates, but Firestone wont gaurantee some of the glues that are about.
You will notice I didnt allow for stripping, so that equation cant be taken into account.
Now lets be honest, we want to make a decent days money, plus a bit of profit, if you have done this before (which Im sure you have ) it doesnt take long to fire down T & G boards, me cutting and laying, partner firing the paslode, couple of hrs.
Lay sheet and let it relax, 2hr max to glue down and fit trims, no messing about, one fitting trims, other doing form flash, jobs done.
You wouldnt do that in felt or glass fibre, and yes I started of with pour and roll, torch on and glass fibre.
I only put a reply on because a couple of guys were interested how much the roof cost, who knows it was probably twice as much as Ive quoted, have a look at another thread about epdm, same thing some one else quoted twice my price, look at how pleased he was with the job.

All I said was it was to cheap to redeck and stick down a bit of rubber IMO. obviously it could be done in half a day what discounts you may or may not get are irrelevent but you can bet your bottom dollar someone is getting a better deal than you., The OP was obviously pleased with his thats why he asked..

Hardmetal, the roof in picture is stand alone, no abbutments.
When we go up the wall, rubber is glued, contact adhesive, and metal trims used as cover flashing, the rubber could go directly into chase, we always use trims.
If the wall is uneven, ie bumpy stone we use lead flashing.

Has a slight check at the front, but looks ok. Won't affect the integrity.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back