Leaks in new central heating pipework

Looks like it wasn't protected properly.

"Pipe in the screed was wrapped in hessian cloth for about half the length of the pipe, and foam for the rest."

Sponsored Links
And yes you do have a choice in what fittings are used...

When you ask for quotes you provide a specification. If you didnt then its dealers choice

"Ask for quotes"???? You must live on the moon, because if you can even get a plumber to come round is a miracle in poxy Suffolk. It would be easier to get an audience with the Pope than get a plumber to turn up, and if you ask them anything, they look at you with contempt and disbelief.

How can I give them a specification? I am a 72 year old woman, living on my own. what should I know about plumbing? Whatever I say just gets shouted down. THEY are the experts, THEY do it their way. But when it all goes wrong it is ME who is left with the hassle and expense.

Consumer law says if you buy a service you have the legal right to expect it to be performed with "reasonable skill and care".

Well, I'm sorry, but burying jointed copper pipe in concrete, making inaccessible, is NOT performing a service with reasonable skill and care.

What the hell is wrong with this country? where are the British Standards?

The insurance assessor came out, will pay for a new carpet, but not the other £2,000 of costs that have been incurred. He said "93% of our claims are for the escape of water". I wonder how many BILLIONS per year that equates to?

It's ridiculous.

I live on the norfolk Suffolk bored I would of come and qouted for it. Copper pipe in th floor is fine even with joints as long as it is protected properly. Using plastic coated copper is ok but then that would be normally 10mm and can block easy, again plastic pipe in concrete floor still has to be protected properly. You should of ot the first plumber around when the leak was found/ fixed and told him the problem the plumber then should of claimed in his insurance. Reading the whole story you say the new pipework doesn't look good and it sounds more like poor
Workmanship than anything else. The consumer law is there as you say but won't protect you against bad workmanship. Also your insurance company ( if you have the right cover) would pay the full price not just the carpets.

Push fit/press fit joints shouldn't be fitted in concrete :)

Also if I personally was to fit pipe in concrete I always put it in a ducting/box with a removable top so it is accessible.

Sponsored Links
"Also if I personally was to fit pipe in concrete I always put it in a ducting/box with a removable top so it is accessible."

Is there a link you can post to this ducting, please?

When you employ any tradesman ask to see his insurance certificate
He has to show it if asked no cert no job

By the way I think you will find the press fittings are guaranteed to
Last for about 40years but I agree properly soldered joints do last
I like soldering as I was trained by an old school plumber who took a pride in what he did

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back