Loft Conversion

Sponsored Links
Jerry M not sure about the question on the insulation. It's 75mm thick and it's directly onto roof felt then hardboard nailed on to it then taped gaps with foil tape. That part is just made for storage. The main room gonna use kingspan. Under the floor there has been chicken wire over the joists and then insulation on top before the chipboard flooring is put in place.

Sponsored Links
Well spotted Nose...! Over support, that splice arrangement is fine. What's the longest span of the beam, out of interest?

Think the full span off the loft is about 6.5m and it's roughly half way so roughly 3.25m.

Duzzer,

might be worth checking the insulation detail out with BCO. i'm not 100% on this but believe there should be a 50mm air gap between the felt and the insulation over the roof slope. the idea being that air can flow over the insulation and minimise condensation. what i'm not sure on is how it passes through/around the ridge board though.

The 50mm gap is on the cold side e.g. between the back of the insulation and the tiles. If you're short on depth, look at Tri ISO 10.

I think my rafters are 5x2" - the Building Inspector suggested that I insulated the roof with Tri ISO 10 attached with battens on the face of the rafters (the inside) so that the gap would be deep enough to meet Building Regs.

Looking at your photos you'll need to remove the insulation if you're going for BR (based on my limited reading of the regs and talking to the Building Inspector).

Latest pics
DSC01040.jpg

DSC01054.jpg

DSC01056.jpg

I know it's a bit late now Duzzer, but there's a place in your (our) neck of the woods that I believe does those 'plastic' beams. They're in Crosby. Although BC don't accept them, even though they're used regularly on the Continent.

On a different tack, I'm looking to do a similar thing, but because space is limited in the loft, I'm going to drop the ceilings.
Can anyone tell me how far I can drop them, and what's the minimum ceiling hight I can leave the existing rooms at. (They're not just bedrooms, but a living room as well, as it's a flat).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back