Lots of (possibly silly) questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of buying a house. Assuming that the sale goes through, I shall have a nice little 2 bedroom Victorian terraced house.

I rather like the idea of decorating and furnishing it in as authentic a manner as is consistent with modern standards of hygiene, comfort and convenience; but I am also rather interested in interesting technologies such as heating automation/remote control.

The house currently has an ordinary combination boiler system with steel flat panel radiators, mechanical thermostatic radiator valves and a single thermostat. It also has lots of lovely original fireplaces, which I intend to use (albeit occasionally and after the chimneys have been swept and tested, of course).

The radiators look totally out of keeping with a Victorian house, and I am minded to replace them with cast iron radiators. (Some have suggested just boxing them in, but I rather fear that effectively insulating the radiators in a wooden box is far from ideal; in any event, I have a dust allergy, and some websites suggest that cast iron radiators cause less circulation of air and therefore dust, although I have not been able to find reliable verification of that).

Am I right in thinking that radiator replacement should really come before redecorating, especially as the wall behind a cast iron radiator will be more visible than the wall behind a panel radiator? Is there any great advantage of having multiple radiators replaced at once (for example, lower installation cost), or can this easily be done one room at a time as each is redecorated?

A number of potential future projects with respect to heating interest me, and, although I will not want to do these immediately, I will want to make sure that what I do do will be compatible with those potential future projects.

Firstly, I rather like the idea of heat control automation using something like the Heat Genius system. It seems on the face of it from my brief research that retro-fitting this (and fitting its components incrementally) is not generally a problem. One problem seems to be that the special thermostatic radiator valve controllers look decidedly un-Victorian - any ideas on how they might be disguised would be welcome.

Secondly, and rather more ambitiously (and, therefore, probably further in the future and also more uncertainly), I have been looking into using multiple sources of heating for central heating and hot water: not just gas, but solar thermal panels (and I do not know whether I will want that with or without a solar electrical installation) and, on refurbishment of the kitchen, a solid fuel burning stove. My research suggests that linking all of these various sources of heat (gas, solar, solid fuel) would require an accumulator tank (as the solar and solid fuel systems are not easily switchable on demand as is gas). What I have not yet discovered is the extent to which such an accumulator tank would be compatible with the existing combination boiler, nor the extent to which the accumulator tank would be compatible with the thermostat replacement device that might be installed with an automated system such as the Heat Genius.

Even though the latter project(s) might be a while off, what I am keen to avoid is: (1) redecorating the bathroom (where the combination boiler is located) only to find that I have to redecorate it again if it is not compatible with an accumulator tank; and (2) fitting something like the Heat Genius at no small cost and finding that it is incompatible with an accumulator tank. If anyone can provide any guidance on these issues, it would be most welcome.

Incidentally, does anyone have any particular view on heated towel rails? I have never had one before, but there seems to be some historical precedent for them. Do they not just make the bathroom more humid than it ought to be?

I suppose that some might think it a little premature to descend into this level of detail in respect of a house that is not even mine yet, but I find it very useful to research and have a good idea of my options (without spending any money or making any final decisions) before completing so that I can progress more swiftly and make better decisions when (and if) it does become mine.

Thank you in advance for any assistance; it would be much appreciated.

Edit: Would the installation of a domestic water softener affect any of the above or anything else to do with central heating?

Sponsored Links
Just a word of advice which you can ignore or not. The people on here who can offer you the best advice are invariably quite busy. It would take even the most enlightened a good hour to properly digest your post and give careful considered advice on each aspect of it. Far better to break it into several shorter questions requiring shorter answers. There are loads of people willing to offer you the benefit of their expertise and experience but you appear to be asking for a complete heating/plumbing consultation.

sorry, I got too tired during the third paragraph.

If you want cast-iron radiators, you can easily buy them. The old ones were made by assembling multiple pieces to give the length you want, with jointing compound between, then clamping them together with metal rods. This can be done by restorers. They are not very cheap. They are very heavy and need to stand on the floor on iron feet as well as being clamped to the wall.

Even if they are supposed to have been cleaned, you should anticipate rust, scale and sediment coming out of them, so it is essential that you fit a protective system filter to catch these particles out of the circulating water and trap them to reduce the risk of blockage to your new boiler, pump etc. Modern boilers are easily clogged, and some are very difficult to clean out.

You can get modern chemicals which inhibit future corrosion, and also loosen old scale and sediment into the water so your filter can trap it.

The old ones were made by assembling multiple pieces to give the length you want, with jointing compound between, then clamping them together with metal rods. .

What are you talking about?

Metal rods? Jointing compound? , Never heard so much tosh in all my life , jeez..

I used to make these up and we didn't use 'rods' , paper gaskets were the norm along with 'nipples' to join the sections together , please refrain from giving advice on topics you know nothing about.

Sponsored Links
He must have picked up snippets in the CC during his visits steel ;)

Is this the chap who was asking how to remove a potterton flamingo? , or asking on someone else's behalf?

Just a word of advice which you can ignore or not. The people on here who can offer you the best advice are invariably quite busy. It would take even the most enlightened a good hour to properly digest your post and give careful considered advice on each aspect of it. Far better to break it into several shorter questions requiring shorter answers. There are loads of people willing to offer you the benefit of their expertise and experience but you appear to be asking for a complete heating/plumbing consultation.

Ahh, thank you very much for your suggestion. It is not always easy to know how best to approach these things, especially as what I am asking about is how everything relates to everything else, but I can understand people finding this a bit long (and it is not easy to predict how long that something will end up being when one starts!). Is it acceptable to post several threads all at once with individual questions?

I have to say, I did not know that there was such a thing as a "complete heating/plumbing consultation". Is this actually a service that people provide for a fee? If so, do you know where I might find somebody to do this and what sort of prices might be charged? Thank you!

Give me a call , consultation fee would be £300 per hour.

See that guy called steelmasons who's already replied on this thread.
I've no idea whether he does what you are asking, but if he doesn't , he should. You wouldn't find anybody better.

Seriously, you should think about doing something like that with your knowledge . It's got to beat working for a living. :LOL:

Ahh, yes, I suppose that the more normal thing would be a consultation with a view to work being carried out where the consultation is not itself chargeable but the work (obviously) would be. Forgive me for not knowing how all of this works: I have not owned a house before.

Perhaps I can start with a few simple questions that won't be too onerous to answer. Firstly, is there any possible issue about putting a water softener in a house in which cast iron radiators may be used?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back