Man Hole

I'm block paving the front of my house, the regulations were changed in 2008 for front block paving and should have rain drainage?
I’m fully aware of that & it’s why I asked the question. Unfortunately in your quest to comply with Planning Regs, your plans for drainage will almost certainly breach local By-laws & is probably more serious but check with your LABC anyway.

You need to rethink your project; either fit a channel drain across the bottom of the drive running into a suitably sized soak away, lay a permeable block paving or chose some other permeable surface for your drive.

Sponsored Links
there is no minimum depth for drains

think man think..... :D

Geraint. We look forward to your posts, as they normally always have the craic in them, however with this one, we have thought and thought man, and still can not follow your reason.
According to regs. For normal domestic drainage, a rigid 100mm pipe requires a minimum cover of 150mm and flexible pipes a minimum cover of 300mm. However these regs do not apply to a 100mm class 120 rigid pipe.
We are aware that drainage can be suspended above ground externally, and wonder whether this is your outlet.

Jal to answer your question, have not seen invert depth, but from your photo you can rattle 3 course of top of IC.

oldun

then i suggest you think again... there ARE no regs as to depth of drainage....

I'm block paving the front of my house, the regulations were changed in 2008 for front block paving and should have rain drainage?
I’m fully aware of that & it’s why I asked the question. Unfortunately in your quest to comply with Planning Regs, your plans for drainage will almost certainly breach local By-laws & is probably more serious but check with your LABC anyway.

You need to rethink your project; either fit a channel drain across the bottom of the drive running into a suitably sized soak away, lay a permeable block paving or chose some other permeable surface for your drive.

I was going to have the channel drain across the bottom of the drive anyway, but it comes back to where will the rain water go from the channel? as to running it into a suitable soak away, how would i achieve that? I do apologise for these newbie/daft questions.

Please see the below link to the current process and can anyone give me ideas to how i can do this?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/810/90338064.jpg/

Note: the front wall will be knocked down.

Regards
Jal.

Sponsored Links
there is no minimum depth for drains

think man think..... :D

Geraint. We look forward to your posts, as they normally always have the craic in them, however with this one, we have thought and thought man, and still can not follow your reason.
According to regs. For normal domestic drainage, a rigid 100mm pipe requires a minimum cover of 150mm and flexible pipes a minimum cover of 300mm. However these regs do not apply to a 100mm class 120 rigid pipe.
We are aware that drainage can be suspended above ground externally, and wonder whether this is your outlet.

Jal to answer your question, have not seen invert depth, but from your photo you can rattle 3 course of top of IC.

oldun

then i suggest you think again... there ARE no regs as to depth of drainage....

suggest you read post again…..
no mention of minimum DEPTH of drain….
minimum depth of pipe COVER stated as regs…..
throw away comb…..
split no more kindling….
ponder….. :D
oldun

I was going to have the channel drain across the bottom of the drive anyway, but it comes back to where will the rain water go from the channel? as to running it into a suitable soak away, how would i achieve that? I do apologise for these newbie/daft questions.

Please see the below link to the current process and can anyone give me ideas to how i can do this?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/810/90338064.jpg/

Note: the front wall will be knocked down.

Regards
Jal.

I've just lifted the cover up from the man hole, it looks like the house rain pipes go down it, the only problem is the depth is not deep enough, so i'm definately going to have a problem connecting the drainage channels to it! I can't see any other way to connect the channel drains!

below link shows the depth:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/718/img0150jj.jpg/

How do you know it’s a surface water drain & “the house rain pipes” currently discharge into it; have you tested for both surface & foul water? Even if it currently takes surface water, as previously posted, local by-laws will almost certainly prohibit any new connections; you need to check with your LABC. I don’t understand why you think it’s impossible to dig a hole & sink a soak away did you look at the link I posted? It sounds like your intent on connecting up to the current drain anyway so I bale out. Depending on where you live, there is a chance you will get caught out either by neighbour in the know dobbing you in or by a passing BI. Then you’ll have to apply for retrospective PP & if that’s not granted, you’ll have to dig it all up again.

How do you know it’s a surface water drain & “the house rain pipes” currently discharge into it; have you tested for both surface & foul water? Even if it currently takes surface water, as previously posted, local by-laws will almost certainly prohibit any new connections; you need to check with your LABC. I don’t understand why you think it’s impossible to dig a hole & sink a soak away did you look at the link I posted? It sounds like your intent on connecting up to the current drain anyway so I bale out. Depending on where you live, there is a chance you will get caught out either by neighbour in the know dobbing you in or by a passing BI. Then you’ll have to apply for retrospective PP & if that’s not granted, you’ll have to dig it all up again.

Ive only tested it for surface water by pouring watering down the rain gutter.

I have looked at the site which you provided me with. Its full of information but its not clear to what i should fill the 'soakaway' with?

Regards
Jal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back