Max temp too low - new thermostatic shower mixer valve

ask friends and neighbours for a recommendation, find someone better.

Sponsored Links
And yes Charnwood I do mean jack of all trades master of none - not impressed at all.

Well you chose or accepted him! Perhaps he is cheap or something but I would always like to use an expert for everything!

I do hope he did not fit your boiler as a non gas reg installer!

I reluctantly agreed to send someone to fit a replacement shower cartridge supplied by the customer.

The next day the customer called to say the shower was too cool.

THE MAKER'S INSTRUCTIONS MADE NO REFERENCE TO ADJUSTMENTS!

But on calling them they told me how they should be calibrated! I had to send him back again to calibrate it.

WHY DONT MAKERS GIVE PROPER INSTRUCTIONS?????????????????

Yes he used a CORGI registered/or whatever the equivalent is called now for the boiler but I think he installed the shower and bathroom. We chose him because he seemed reliable, knowledgeable and trustworthy not because he was cheap (he isn't)......now we have got to the end of the work he has lost interest and doesn't want to spend any more time putting things right. Hence pushing back on the shower temp, he thinks it is hot enough, I don't, his word against mine. That said I haven't paid him the balance yet but think we are at stalemate now.

If it turns out it isn't to do with pressure and I have to get someone else to recalibrate (because he will refuse to do this) - will this be expensive? Charnwood I think you said this was jsut a 20min job? The manufacturer has said it is just a question of taking the chrome unit off and adjusting the spindle.

Sponsored Links
Charnwood I think you said this was jsut a 20min job? The manufacturer has said it is just a question of taking the chrome unit off and adjusting the spindle.

It was me, and yes, adjusting the spindle is all it is; normally.

Set temp dial to the centre, remove the handle then adjust the temp spindle with the water running until you get to just under where you want the normal temperature to be.

Then put it all back together. How fiddly that all is depends o the shower.

That's how I do it anyway.

Isn't that usual?
Most if not all thermostatic bar showers have a button which should be set at 38°C. (Many are marked 38°C.) Depressing the button allows you to get a higher temperature. Not many other styles have this 'stop'.
I think the max temp from a thermostatic shower should be 43 or 45°C.

Some authority or other states that the comfortable showering temperature for an infant/child is 36.5 to 37°C. Where 38°C comes from is anyones guess. Possibly.

You may be able to do it yourself.

In most cases it can take an hour or so to travel and park for a visit regardless of it being a 5 minute job! That's why most will have to charge about £70 for a visit.

My advice would be to tell the installer that it is not correct and that's backed up by the manufacturer. If he will not calibrate it in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions ( even if they are not stated with the paperwork that comes with the unit ) then you will have to call someone else and deduct the cost of their visit.

That's a problem of inadequate instructions that plumbers have to live with. Of course the makers will say that if unsure you can always call their tech help line! I would say they should have proper instructions !

Many manufacturers have service agents although many charge more than other plumbers, often £90 for a visit.

Tony

'elf & safety mate.

Crazy. I have never met anyone who thinks 38 is a good showering temperature. My missus used to have our old Mira Digital shower set to 48 or something really high.

Agile, my previous life has nothing to do with the time taken to do a simple job. Did I say a plumber would charge one third of his hourly rate? Did I say a plumber should only charge 50 quid for the job?

Have I said something to upset you or did you just get out of thr wrong side of the bed?

And what makes you assume I know nothing about visiting customers?
I wasn't a counterboy all my working life, sunshine.

All I said was ************

It was not intended to upset you, but if it has I am sorry!

There is the same amount of time taken for any short job and that's made up of travelling times. In London that's often an hour there and an hour back even if the distance is small. I waited 40 minutes for a bus recently and after I go on it was full and unable to pick up any more people.

Tony

I'm hoping it is the pressure in which case he will accept he needs
To do something. Will check when I get home. Presumably as it gets hot for a split second when I put it up to the max means it has the ability to get hot (therefore the spindle is in the right position) it's just something in the system is overriding/inhibiting it getting hotter?

====================
Check hot flow rate from combi is adequate
Mod
====================

It was not intended to upset you, but if it has I am sorry!
Upset? That'll be the day! ;)
You develop a thick skin dealing with the nationals counterboys; Dumb Centre and the like. Even the Yanks got fed up with them and sold them on. :LOL:

I was just pointing out to Anna that she could do it herself (simple job with the instructions) in a relatively short time.

Hi!
I turned the basin cold tap on, flushed the toilet while the shower was on at max and it did get hotter - so the conclusion is that we need a pressure reducing valve on the cold feed. Does anyone know if this will mean the shower pressure/flow will be weaker? Also inclined to just get someone else to do it and take the money off our final bill given our plumberbuilder hasn't got a clue. Any ideas how much I should be taking off? We are in London if that helps! :?:

Based on what you have said, it sounds as if the internal max temperature has not been set.

Until that is tried, there is no point in speculating about what may be needed. That is a very simple adjustment in most cases.

If your hot and cold supplies are both mains derived then there should be little pressure unbalance. This would usually be the case with a properly installed combi boiler.

If there is an isolating valve in each supply as recommended for good practice then the cold can be restricted as a simple adjustment if the pressure is unbalanced but so far all I expect is that the shower unit just needs the simple adjustment.

Tony

Thanks Agile. He refuses to do anything to the valve or do any investigations himself - even if they are simple as you say - I think it is a pride thing. :rolleyes:

But what does the fact that it gets hot for a split second before going back down to lukewarm mean? I may try and adjust the lever myself if all else fails.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back