MCB lock outs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
MCB lock-outs, sound like a good idea - can they bought from any electrical wholesalers? A spark I know was nearly killed once whilst working in an attic, the customer's kid had gone to the fuse-board and re-set the mcb cause his video game wasn't working - oUcH!

Sponsored Links
A simple sign placed over the fuseboard might not be a bad investment? In fact aren't these commercially available?

I work in the manufacturing industry, and we strictly observe the lockout procedure because we are dealing with large groups of people, very powerful equipment, and much higher voltage fed from much larger circuit breakers than one would find in a residential installation.

Since the lockout procedure was defined by the US Occupational Safety and Health Administration, fatalities in the workplace plummeted and have remained low. The system relies on the fact that only the person who shut down the equipment can start it back up again.

A sign might be all right for a DIYer who has also verbally warned his family not to touch anything until he is finished, but I recommend in the strongest possible terms that anyone who works with electricity professionally invest in a circuit breaker lockout. They are not expensive and they could very well save your life.

mildmanneredjanitor said:
A simple sign placed over the fuseboard might not be a bad investment? In fact aren't these commercially available?

like I said, unlikely to deter a youngster who wants to play on his nintendo :(

Sponsored Links
masona said:
You can buy a lockable transparent lid on C/Unit
oh yea? and what about the cu lids that arnt lockable? or dont have a transparent lid? also that is NOT an mcb lock, an mcb lock locks the switch.

supersparks said:
what about the cu lids that arnt lockable? or dont have a transparent lid? also that is NOT an mcb lock, an mcb lock locks the switch.
I didn't say it was,I was saying maybe better to have a lockable transparent lid on C/Unit instead of a simple sign placed over the fuseboard suggested by mildmanneredjanitor and also LifesABitchAndThenYouFry quoted "the customer's kid had gone to the fuse-board and re-set the mcb cause his video game wasn't working - oUcH!"

In the industrial end of things we use a heavier version of this, if more than one worker is worker is working on a piece of equipment each worker puts their own padlock on the hasp, when the last worker removes this lock he switches back on the power.
CH712595-01.jpg

In relation to mcb lockouts we got a few each at a hager conference recently, these are the only really effective ones I’ve seen, when used in conjunction with modern hager breakers the mcb is designed to physically break should someone try to force the breaker up again. Many others are available such as these below, but act as a deterrent only. You would be amazed at the ignorance of some people in industrial/commercial situations.
VCH422696-01.jpg

VCH422703-01.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back