Memera 2000 40 amp b mcb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a kiln, 7.6kw 230 volts.

I understand that 10mm twin core wire connecting to a new 40amp b mcb should work.

But googling some are saying that 6kw is the max for a memera 2000 mcb?

Any ideas. Should I be ok.

Sponsored Links
Exactly so why are people saying 6kw max on the mcb? Makes no sense right and I should be ok as 10mm wire and 40a mcb should be more than enough

Exactly so why are people saying 6kw max on the mcb? Makes no sense right and I should be ok as 10mm wire and 40a mcb should be more than enough

Which all depends on the installation method of the cable ...

Sponsored Links
I have a kiln, 7.6kw 230 volts
In the UK, the declared voltage and tolerance for an electricity supply is 230 volts -6%, +10%. This gives an allowed voltage range of 216.2 volts to 253.0 volts.

If the supply voltage is the maximum 253 then the kiln will be taking 8.36 kW ( 7.6 / 230 ) x 253 which is 33 Amp.

Running an MCB for prolonged periods at more than 75% of rated current can make the MCB hot enough to affect the operation of adjacent MCBs

Nowhere. Correct.

Exactly so why are people saying 6kw max on the mcb?
Some people say the world is flat. I saw something on the internet once which was wrong.

There is no maximum for such things.

Makes no sense right
1693304438250.png

and I should be ok as 10mm wire and 40a mcb should be more than enough
Yes, literally more than enough as in too big and a waste - unless you have installed it in unfavourable surroundings.

The actual voltage in your house us most likely around 240v

(Test it and see)

Which for a resistive load like a kiln will put the current up.

So running wire from one room with the circuit breaker/mcb board into a garage behind the plasterboard for about 10 metres.

Looking at gettng one of two kilns. One is 7.5kw 230v the other reads 240v/29.13a/7kw.

I have a memera 2000 board.

If I'm right I concluded that a 40amp mcb type b with 10mm twin core cable would be ok?

Best wishes

Michael

Is there perhaps some confusion with the 6kA breaking capacity of the OPDs in domestic CUs?
Yes this is the thing. I worked it all out upgrading from 6 to 10mm and a 40amp type b mcb. Then someone said the mcb has 6kw max. These kilns are 7 to 7.5kw, so what would I do?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back