Moving a gas meter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
mike from london why would you want to change an old meter , have you ever thought why they get changed after 20 years ? its because they start registering in the customers favour .
As for moving meter yep grid will move it away from the elec meter for free done many jobs like that usually on the day its phoned in
Well they changed my meter based on its age, same colour as the one in the picture, new ones are white or cream, my meter was far too old, they did that to various other houses in my street as well as in one of my rented properties where the guy who swapped the meter couldn't find a suitable length of pipe and had the meter mounted too low (shoulder height) from over head height, I complained because my tenant kept bumping into it, they came and put back up where it should have been mounted in the first place, this time they brought the right length of pipe, for some reason they had to change the pipe.

The new smart meters are coming being rolled in, I am aware of it, my energy company has written to me that they would like to do this if i give them the go ahead, at the moment I have joined a new energy supplier who asked me to not go ahead as they will need to put their smart meter in when they start supplying my gas, and electric.Its in transition, found a company who could supply me gas at 2.4p per kw and electric at 10p per kw, inc vat, saving me well over £650.00

as for moving that meter by 10cm, I see no problem with that flexible pipe reaching it as long as he gets an approved contractor to shift it, I engaged a Transo contractor once to shift a meter at a property by about a meter to section off an area for storage. i was charged something like £375.00 about 10 years ago.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sorry - I thought you meant to over the electricity meter.

Yes, there is space above the old pipes:

screenshot_877.jpg

But it couldn't go very far up before the flexible pipe becomes a limitation - probably not far enough for it to make any practical difference.

And wherever it is the pipe on my side has to go off to the left, as that's where the gas is needed, so it's always going to have to cross some electrics. The white board in the top left corner of the photo has the CUs on it, and when I find my round tuit and do the electrical changes I want then the spaces to the left of the meter and above it will have switchgear in, so the way to avoid most of the electrical services is to keep the pipe as low as possible.

You really have a very awkward layout and limited space to move the meter even by a few cms, not worth the hassle especially how much the transporter charges.
When I had mine done by Transco 10 years ago they quoted me from a scale of fixed charges up to a certain distance.

The new smart meters are coming being rolled in, I am aware of it, my energy company has written to me that they would like to do this if i give them the go ahead, at the moment I have joined a new energy supplier who asked me to not go ahead as they will need to put their smart meter in when they start supplying my gas, and electric.Its in transition, found a company who could supply me gas at 2.4p per kw and electric at 10p per kw, inc vat, saving me well over £650.00

That's sounds very cheap.

So which supplier is that from?

That's sounds very cheap.

So which supplier is that from?
it has a strange name called "Places for People Energy" found through energyhelpline.com

My current spend is £190 pm, that works out £2250 per year, currently with OVO, and I can't wait to get to PPE. Their daily standing charge is almost half as well.
http://www.pfpenergy.co.uk/

Last edited:
You really have a very awkward layout and limited space to move the meter even by a few cms, not worth the hassle especially how much the transporter charges.
My plan/idea/thought/question/whatever was about getting the guy I get in to move my boiler (or more likely install a new one in a different place) to move the meter a bit, so it's up against the wall. And maybe actually fixed, rather than just sat there free to move about. Assuming it's safe to move a meter, and have the flexible connection accommodate that¹, I would hope that the incremental cost of work on the pipe where it attaches to the meter, in relation to all the other gas and water pipe changes, boiler installation and commissioning etc, would not need me to be seated when told what it was.

I guess I was wondering if the reality is similar to electrical reality, e.g. electricians aren't supposed to pull service fuses, and it is technically illegal to do so, but in reality they do.

Moving it back and right wouldn't do a huge amount for usable space under the stairs - this sketch shows, approximately, where the gas meter is now wrt the main fuse, and the dotted line the more-or-less where I'd want it pushed back to

screenshot_878.jpg

but it would make it a bit better.

¹ I *("*^#@/$ hope it is, because as it's not fixed at all right now, any carelessness with hoovers or boxes etc will cause it to move. Were I unconcerned about the consequences for pipe joints etc, I could probably move it with one hand to where I want it in a few seconds - it really is that unsecured. (Don't worry - I'm not, and I have no intention of doing that)

Just make sure your registered engineer has his meters on his card, it needs a floor bracket fixed to the floor. your gas pipework wants to be rerouted so it does not cross the electrical stuff.
Interesting point - what does "meters on his card" mean in this context? If, for argument's sake, I was increasing my gas demand to the point where I needed a 28mm or 35mm pipe from the meter, would replacing the existing one need that endorsement?

might as well let the rgi move it for u at the same time as boiler , just make sure he's qualified for meters as well thou .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back