Moving a socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved a double socket by a few inches to avoid some new furniture. I did this by extending the wiring to the old socket by connecting a new length of wire with a connection block - one of those plastic things that looks like a lego brick. I wrapped some insulating wire around it and shoved it back into the wall cavity. The old socket is covered now by a blanking plate.

I'm now starting to worry if this is safe or not. Please advise.

(NB The original socket had two wires of each colour going into the connections - 6 in all.)

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Remake your connections so the "connector block" is in the box behind the blanking plate.

Thanks for the quick reply.
Cant do that as I cant get all the wires in and out of the box and there is only one hole. It's metal, so short of dilling the thing are there any other options?

++++++++++++++++++++
Moderator's note:
Your advertising link is not permitted in your signature.
Please remove it from your profile.

Mod Rupert
++++++++++++++++++++

CarHunt said:
Thanks for the quick reply.
Cant do that as I cant get all the wires in and out of the box and there is only one hole. It's metal, so short of dilling the thing are there any other options?

If you look inside you will see circular knockouts. Hammer the correct one out with a chisel and it will come loose.

Fit a grommet in the new hole.

Pass the cable through onto your new socket having made the connections in the box.

You may have to chisel out some wall and make good afterwards. It'll be worth it as you will have done the job properly, (and safely!) :)

Sponsored Links
Ahh.Thank you. I'll get the chiselout and have a go.

Much obliged.

++++++++++++++++++++
Moderator's note:
Your advertising link is not permitted in your signature.
Please remove it from your profile.

Mod Rupert
++++++++++++++++++++

Plus it's pretty late, unless you fancy getting a ear full from a neighbour maybe you should leave it till tomorrow :p

Wii do. Was thinking more tomorrow anyway. Dont think the couple next door are too keen on my Brummie Spanner

Thanks all
Sorry Mod - wasnt selling anything

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back