National Grid

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I had to have the National Grid called out over weekend to deal with a gas leak from a new gas appliance that been fitted a day early by a trained / certified fitter. The person from National Grid said that the fitting used was incorrect causing the leak. The gas fitter said he used the fitting the appliance came with which I believe, though National grid said the fitter should of spotted it was wrong.

The original gas fitter said he tested it and it was ok, but when I walked into property it was very bad, the property wasn't occupied at the time it was lucky I called in on the off chance, or I wouldn't of been around for another week. I didn't want the orginal fitter to come back so got another gas man in to sort it after National Grid had disconnected it.

I've no experience of National Grid till now (they were good though) just wondered how reliable I should take what they said.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
If its an old school NG fitter he will know what he is talking about newer ones not always so.
Washer missing does not make an inappropriate fitting it is a wrongly fitted correct fitting, i would imagine this is the fitting that connects pipe at back of cooker to the cooker flex.

We all love detail so that we can consider the ins and outs!

Until I see a photo or a good description I cannot think anything.

I dont even know what type of appliance it is!

As Gas112 said, it isn't necessarily an incorrect fitting. On occasion I have had to use engineering judgement and use thread sealing tape/fluid where a washer was either missing, or the thread wasn't long enough to reach (with SUPPLIED fittings too).

Does sound like a hob/cooker... but need more info/pictures.

Did the NG guy record the levelof escape? It will be in millibars.

Why did you not feel inclined to give the original fitter a chance to rectify?
Everyone makes a mistake, it is just that our mistakes can be more obvious (and of course potentilally dangerous). The smallest leak will stink a room out, although we can never be too complacent.

The NG guy will probably fill out a RIDDOR form, but no action will be taken. The reports are used to compile statistics, and not just in the gas industry.

Yes was a hob, tried to call orginal fitter on the eve it happened but no answer, the property is flat (not owned by me) and the owner didn't know where the meter to turn the gas off was hence why National grid called out. Owner was too nervous to use orginal fitter after what had happened thats the only reason why, if the property hadn't been visited that night it would of been for a good few days after and by then it might have been a bigger issuer.

Its a mess really I used the same gas guy for years never had issue and he is a friend. I suppose what I was really trying to establish was how realiable National Grid were, are they ultimate 'gas man', but from what peeps say they are not. Yeah it was RIDDOR.

NG engineers on the whole are not qualified to talk about gas beyond their little gas meter world.

Not saying this one is wrong, and of course a leak is a leak.

NG are purely an emergency provider, you had an emergency they turned you off an made safe job done .
They do carry cameras so may have took photo but prob not

When a RIDDOR is raised what happens next someone mentioned it purely for stats is that the case or will it get investigated further ? If the HSE contact me about it do I need to legally respond ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back