New ceiling light wont turn off..... help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi , I cant find an answer here so hopefully someone can answer my question...

Ok im trying to fit a bathroom ceiling light but i cant get it to turn off once wired...

Heres what i have:

3 Core Wires:

1 - Red, Green, Black
2 - Red, Green, Black
3 - Red Green, Black (with red tape).

On the light i have holes for Live, Earth, Neutral..

Where do they go?

Help much appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
you will need an extra connector block

join all the reds together in this extra connector block (do not connect to light, this is permanent live)
two blacks together to the N terminal
all greens to the E terminal
Black (with red tape) to Live terminal

If you can't fit all of these cables into the light terminals, use 4 connector blocks and a short length of cable from those to the light fitting

t2565753.jpg

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting:rose[/size][/b]

Ok thats great.
Does that mean i cant joing them all in the same connector? So all reds and the blackwithredtape into L, other blacks into N and greens into E straight on the light?

Sponsored Links
No.

The red with black tape connects to Live on the light

The other reds go separately together (Not connected to the light)

Blacks to neutral

Green to earth

ok understood thanks.
So i need a 3 way chock block like this http://www.thelightingsuperstore.co.uk/Lighting-Accessories/product.asp?productid=57904[/QUOTE]
PS repaired link

No you don't need a 3 way connector, you already have on the fitting a terminal for:
*Switch Live (brown flex of lamp) connected to red sleeved black from ceiling
*Neutral (blue flex of lamp) connected to the two unsleeved blacks from ceiling
*Earth connection terminal (green&Yellow flex of lamp or connected to terminal marked for earth) connected to the three green&yellows from ceiling. NB these cables were sleeved green now required to be G&Y.

Now what is required is a spare terminal for the loop in live of the three reds, this will only require one terminal block, were all the reds are connected together in the same terminal (not a three terminal block with a red in each)

I despair #1.

On the light i have holes for Live, Earth, Neutral..
That's 3.
you will need an extra connector block
That extra one makes 4.

1. join all the reds together in this extra connector block (do not connect to light, this is permanent live)
  2. two blacks together to the N terminal
  3. all greens to the E terminal
  4. Black (with red tape) to Live terminal
ok understood thanks.
So i need a 3way chock block like this http://www.thelightingsuperstore.co.uk/Lighting-Accessories/product.asp?productid=57904?[/QUOTE]
:rolleyes:

I despair #2.

join all the reds together in this extra connector block (do not connect to light, this is permanent live)
two blacks together to the N terminal
all greens to the E terminal
Black (with red tape) to Live terminal
<A link to:>

electrics:lighting:replacingceilingrose0lq.gif

So all reds and the blackwithredtape into L, other blacks into N and greens into E straight on the light?
:rolleyes:

benji - please get an electrician - you plainly have no idea how lighting circuits are wired and are either completely unable to understand perfectly clear diagrams and written instructions or unwilling to learn.

Twice you went through the sequence:

"Do I do it like A?"

"No, you do it like B"

"OK, so I do it like A"

As I said - either you cannot understand it or you just can't be rsed to read the information people are giving you. Either way is incompatible with DIY electrical work.

Actually mate i totally get it - ive done most of the electric stuff around the house fine i just wasnt sure how to go from a ceiling rose to a modern light fitting thats all....

Yes i did listen, yes i did read up, i was just making sure i knew what i was doing before messing with wires and also i was confirming that the HELPFUL person who responded was refering to a "choc block"....

I asked for help not a self righteous response...

Again thank you to those who helped

Actually mate i totally get it - ive done most of the electric stuff around the house fine i just wasnt sure how to go from a ceiling rose to a modern light fitting thats all....
Which means you do not understand how lighting circuits are wired.

Yes i did listen, yes i did read up,
So how come your subsequent posts did not indicate that you had read, or had understood it?

i was just making sure i knew what i was doing before messing with wires
So what's your explanation for you saying "So all reds and the blackwithredtape into L, other blacks into N and greens into E straight on the light?" when that it NOT what the diagram you had looked at and "totally got" shows and NOT what Iggifier had described in words?

And after your first "Ok thats great", when you proposed doing it incorrectly, even though you totally got it, Iggifier put you right once again, and you then said "So i need a 3 way chock block ..", which is NOT what the diagram you had looked at shows and NOT what Iggifier had twice described in words.

Do you have an explanation for that? Because from where I'm sitting "i totally get it" looks like self-delusion.

I asked for help not a self righteous response...
I was not being self-righteous, I was trying to stop you messing around with things which you showed no evidence of understanding and a great deal of evidence of actually not understanding at all.

Your posts are there in black and white - it is undeniable that you persisted in saying <so I need....> and <so I connect....> despite having repeatedly been told otherwise.

ive done most of the electric stuff around the house fine i just wasnt sure how to go from a ceiling rose to a modern light fitting thats all....
If you imagine a standard ceiling rose, well lets not, here's one

Based on old version of core colours

*The earths/CPCs to the earth terminal, that's easy enough!
*We then have the neutral loop in this case on the left, where the two blacks are connected to the blue flex of lampholder. These blacks loop the neutrals around the lighting circuit
*Then on the right, we have the switch live, where the brown flex is (nearly always labelled "live" on the roses and fittings, which can be confusing if this is not your thing)
this is connected to the returning live from the switch (often black with red sleeve, but can be red also), which becomes live when the switch is closed/in on position.
*The central section is known as the live loop, this is where the permanent lives are connected (generally reds). Two of these are cables that loop in and loop out, from and to other fittings on the lighting circuit and the third takes a live feed to the switch, that returns via closing the switch via the red sleeved black (in this case)
NB: If this was the last light on a loop-in circuit, there would be one less yellow&green (earth/CPC) black (neutral) and red (live) as there would be no other light to loop to

So when it comes to replacing a ceiling rose with the more modern fittings, what you are in doing in reality, is replacing the live loop of ceiling rose with an additional connector. (some fittings do actually come with 4 ports, so the spare can be looped live and some also provide the terminal connector) then everything else is as normal.

and also i was confirming that the HELPFUL person who responded was refering to a "choc block"....
PS.
choc bloc is an enclosure for connection strips/blocks

PPS.
Welcome to the forum benjib84, hope you are having fun here
We are not all, my I quote?
self righteous
;)

Ok thats great.
Does that mean i cant joing them all in the same connector?

No.

Quite obviously.

Because you've tried that, and the light stays on all the time.

And that's why you're here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back