No hot water Alpha Ocean 240P

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently bought a house with a Alpha Ocean 240P combi boiler. It works fine for the CH nice and hot and quickly heats up, the problem is the HW. Its luke warm at best and it requires the tap(s) to be fully open to get any hot water at all, I have tried knocking them closed a bit but it makes no difference.Its also marginally better if it is run with the CH turned on.

The burner fires up ok and the demand light is lit when the taps are open?
I was just wondering if any of the kind sorts on here had any idea's. I'm sort of thinking thermostat but i'm not sure where to start!!

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!! Cheers

Davie

Sponsored Links
With these boilers it will be a diverter valve / diaphragm issue, and after that I would look at the plate heat exchanger.
Changing the diaphragm is easy and an overhaul kit is available to refurb the diverter valve. All this work is non gas related and can be undertaken by a confident diyer. I've done dozens of these and takes me 1 hour. View media item 31064Thats what you have and the seal kits will cost you about £60.

Thanks for the speedy reply, i'm fairly handy as a spark to trade. Would I just need an overhaul kit, or do I need a seperate diaphragm as well?? Where would be the best bet for these parts? thanks

Davie

The seal kits are obtainable from most Part Centres.
Seal kit 760 and 765 contain all you need including the diaphragm.
They can also be obtained from a well known auction site.

Sponsored Links
Sorry to bump this but I can only find the full replacement diverter valve or individual diaphragm, i'm really looking for the full refurb kit!! Any direct links to exactly what I need would be much appreciated as i'm drawing a blank right now :oops:

That's exactly what you need. Both kits are what you require to do a complete overhaul. Protect the electrics from water damage.

Thanks for that :D

Just another quick question, before I begin to remove the valve I take it I will need to -

Turn off cold water supply
Drain Central heating system
Drain H/W system (just run taps till dry?)
Obviously there will be some water left in pipe work attached to valve hence protect the electrics, will there be much water during removal??

Is it just a case of strip parts down, clean and re-assemble the same as they came apart??

Sorry for all the questions, I'm fairly handy but have never worked on a boiler before, so like to have an idea before jumping straight in or making an arse of anything lol

Yes that is how you do it. It is sometimes beneficial to isolate the CH flow and return valves underneath on LHS and RHS to save draining too much water(and inhibitor from your system). That way you only drain the boiler, and expect to fill half a bucket. Clean any parts that require it but as you are getting a kit use all new parts and don't forget to use the grease supplied on the pins.
Just opening a hot tap will be enough on the cold water side of things after isolating cold supply.
If you weren't so far away I'd pop round tonight and give you a hand! :D

Thanks again makes sense now, shut cold water valve, shut ch flow/return, run tap to empty then prepare for what's left in system :LOL:

I'm lucky that I have pretty decent access in the cupboard where the boiler is, thanks for the offer of help but i'm quite looking forward to a wee tinker with it :oops: just hope it works lol!!

Anything I need to look for when starting all back up?? any specific things I need to do?

Parts should be here friday I will report back how I get on!!

Just had another quick look, I take it I need to take it right out to do the work but looking at how its attached to the plate heat exchanger, 'im not sure how I would get it off without removing both??? :!:

Ah that makes sense then, just disconnect all pipes and cables and replace the parts in kit in situ!! I'm hoping its simple enough lol :oops:

I've stripped it all down but I cant seem to see where the little green fibre washers and O rings are for are these purely just for all the pipes and fittings that are remaining fixed to the unit??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back