NVQ level 2 plumber applying for gas

:LOL:

It's all relative.... But if you are investing time and effort in something like a vocational qualification surely it skittle encompass ar least the basics of the whole vocation?

Mardy a7se ;)

Sponsored Links
It does, that's the whole point of it being a NVQ, 4days work learning all those things you think important and 1 day college doing the trade education bit.

Sponsored Links
Hi lee i just checked with my lads trainer an he said def no photos req but needs 25 portfolio jobs, are their different entry criteria for differednt exam bodies u think??

I don't know is the answer?
Our lad needed all sorts of photos as he's gone through from him on a ladder, to core drilling to last week piping up a system boiler.
The apprentice before him however didn't need photos that I can remember, but the one before that one did.
Maybe it's down to the college as the one that didn't need the photo's went to a different college to the two that have needed them?

So you need to build a portfolio before you can sit your acs exams? I work for a new build firm and they are on about putting me through my gas. As the other plumber at the firm who is gas safe is leaving. Meaning there won't be a gas safe plumber at the firm anymore. So I could/will struggle to build a portfolio.

Fraid so Fallout, the stages usually are -
  • You pay some money - Then you do preliminary gas training - A Foundation Gas Course - that gives you the knowhow to work on gas safely.
  • Then you pay some more money to go out and work with a gas safe engineer to gain specific experience - that experience is gathered and contained within your portfolio
  • Once that is complete you submit that to an Accredited examination centre - you pay some more money then they then scrutinise the portfolio to confirm you have completed everything required with a gas safe engineer,
  • Only then are you allowed to sit the ACS (Accredited Certification Scheme) for gas which you are charged even more money for.
Once you pass that you can then apply to the Gas Safe Register and pay even more money to register if you ant skint yet. :p

Always good to get the company to pay for it when you can :)

Certainly trainees who have come to me for practical experience have all taken many photos although I don't know if they were essential or just to make the reports look more kosher.

There used to be a category of applicant for gas courses which included qualified plumbers which gave them some advantage over people from off the street.

I do have to say that finding enough jobs to fulfil a portfolio can be quite difficult as there are very few open flued boilers still operating any more in most areas.

Thanks for the replies. How many jobs does one need for there portfolio? Can see becoming gas safe registered being a long process then

A good 5 to 10 of every appliance you hope to have plus general stuff like pipe work etx.
Ours has juatr had to make sure in boilers that he has install/service and repair combi, system and OV as evidence

Thanks how many installs/ service and repairs did you need? Did you need combi and system boilers?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back