old cable after a job

This is a major problem for me in the computer repair business. I now have to insist that customers get rid of stuff like old power supplies.

I am barely making enough money as it is, without this red tape crap.

Sponsored Links
It appears that Section 5 of Control of Pollution (Amendment Act) 1989 "gives powers to Waste Regulation Authorities such as waste collection authorities, the police and other enforcement authorities to stop and search any vehicle believed to be used for the transportation of controlled waste without being registered".

Thanks - Found the legislation. Just a very brief preliminary scan of that statute and those referenced by it, but the act you cite says that "controlled waste" is as defined by the Control of Pollution Act 1974, as amended, and the definition within that is:

"controlled waste" means household, industrial and commercial waste or any such waste
Your guess is as good as mine as to what that last part is supposed to mean, but clearly the first part of the definition includes regular household waste.

I haven't looked in detail to see if there are any exemptions, but could that mean that strictly speaking, according to the letter of the legislation, a waste carrier license is now mandated just to take a couple of boxes of household junk to the local tip?

On a more general issue though, what exactly counts as waste? Some bureaucrat might well think that if I bring a couple of yards of multi-core telephone cable back from a job that it counts as "waste" left over from the rest of the reel which was installed somewhere. But if I intend to keep that left-over length to use for jumper wires, I wouldn't call it waste when it's material which can be put to good use.

Sponsored Links
I guess the key point is how does the legal owner of it regard it?

If he thinks it's waste, then it is waste.

If he thinks it is not then it is his property, and if you've taken it without his consent... :confused:

(In fact, IIRC, even if the owner has thrown it away it remains his - i.e. technically taking something out of a skip is theft.)

But even if you manage to disguise a small amount (e.g. you've bought it from your customer and have a paper trail describing it as items for refurbishment) if they know you're a commercial electrician they will want to know what you do with all the waste they know you must end up with, unless you always leave everything with the customer.

I'd have thought that as long as the customer doesn't mind it, you can take the old cabling etc.

Copper prices are through the roof at the moment and I'm surprised that anyone would throw the cabling away - take it to scrap metal dealers and get some money for it.

Of course you can do that. But you need a Waste Carrier's Licence.
Yes, so it seems - but, as Paul has intimated, if the law is written in such a way as to make it unlawful for Joe Public to transport any of his own waste without a Licence, the whole thing is plain ridiculous (maybe written by vthe same person who wrote Part P?)!

Kind Regards, John.

I haven't looked in detail to see if there are any exemptions, but could that mean that strictly speaking, according to the letter of the legislation, a waste carrier license is now mandated just to take a couple of boxes of household junk to the local tip?
No.

Of course you can do that. But you need a Waste Carrier's Licence.
Yes, so it seems - but, as Paul has intimated, if the law is written in such a way as to make it unlawful for Joe Public to transport any of his own waste without a Licence, the whole thing is plain ridiculous (maybe written by vthe same person who wrote Part P?)!

Kind Regards, John.
But it isn't as Paul has intimated, is it?

The definition of "controlled waste" includes household rubbish, and it's right that it should.

But the requirement to have a Waste Carrier's Licence doesn't apply to householders, or someone doing a favour for a neighbour/friend/relative etc.

The Control of Pollution (Amendment) Act 1989 says (with my emphasis)

"Subject to the following provisions of this section, it shall be an offence for any person who is not a registered carrier of controlled waste, in the course of any business of his or otherwise with a view to profit, to transport any controlled waste to or from any place in Great Britain.."

But it isn't as Paul has intimated, is it?
"Subject to the following provisions of this section, it shall be an offence for any person who is not a registered carrier of controlled waste, in the course of any business of his or otherwise with a view to profit, to transport any controlled waste to or from any place in Great Britain.."
Thanks. That's more sensible and, as you say, generally let's Joe Public off the need for a Licence.

For those in business, it still sounds a bit draconian, and I wonder of that's how it's really intended, or intended to be interpreted. You'd be hard pressed to find the van of any tradesperson that did not contain at least some things which could be described as 'waste'. Indeed, even the vehicles of 'professional' people will often contain at least a little 'waste paper', if not more. Are there perhaps some more 'exemptions'?

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back