Old conservatory base built nearly to damp course

I had in mind grinding a slot so that when you use the breaker afterwards, you have more chance of a neat straight edge on the trench beside the house. The thinner the concrete, the more likely it is to work (unless you hire a big road menders cutter)
Yes I think we are talking about 2 different options - or even 3.
I think you are saying take the full depth of concrete away from the house for a narrow trench. I am saying take the lot up. Or another option just angle grind a V grove to take the water away.

Sponsored Links
We are looking at hiring the medium duty breaker and going at the lot next few days. A builder friend today suggested the heavy duty breaker might make it easier but is that really needed? Obviously the concrete around the perimeter looks to be gravel and cement mix?

Cheaper to buy a breaker from FB Marketplace, might get one for £50, then you can sell once you've done with it.

Mine has been used to pull numerous floors and slabs up.

I used an angle grinder to make a cut around 150mm from the wall, and removed the slab that was around 100-125m deep, then put pebbles in the newly formed trench, use largish ones, don't be tempted to use gravel, as it will compact down and become solid again.

Taking up the whole lot will be more satisfactory. I thought the trench might be a smaller job.

You will need to reduce the adjoining ground level, this is quite common, usually when paving bridges the DPC.

Sponsored Links
Certainly going to be a job that will keep you warm in this weather and the wet will keep the dust down. You may want to lean somthing up against youe glass to protect from flying concrete if you are swinging a sledge hammer. Your builder friend may have good experience here - get the big breaker.

We are looking at hiring the medium duty breaker and going at the lot next few days. A builder friend today suggested the heavy duty breaker might make it easier but is that really needed? Obviously the concrete around the perimeter looks to be gravel and cement mix?
yes you need a heavy duty breaker…don’t bother with a medium, it will take forever

if hiring one get a hydraulic one, probably £100 or so for a day.

You will break that up in under a day.

Its quite easy to do, you use the point not the chisel, you start at a corner and place the point just a few inches from the edge, if necessary use your foot (in workboots) to guide it. Nibble small amounts is the key.

It will be harder work to wheelbarrow it around the front into a skip than it will breaking it up (you could get a grab lorry which saves you loading a skip.

tip: don’t let the chisel work it’s way in too deep, or you will need a lot of strength to pull it out again.

If you think you need more than one day Screwfix sell a brand new electric breaker for £160 which you could sell after

Thanks for advice so far.

Update:

So settled last night on the medium duty breaker before today's sound advice. Got up early and was ready to start at 8.30. By eleven it was clear the medium duty wasn't going to be enough as I'd done about one square metre so took it back and they kindly swapped for the heavy duty.

Back on the job at half 12 and the job became a lot easier. As advised the shovelling and barrowing are as heavy as the breaking. Can feel it on the neck mind as constantly looking down fixed on ground level.

About one third removed which considering I'm a first timer and didn't get the most suitable tool until 12.30 not bad really.

It appears the base was laid on paving slabs which I find really surprising.

I am also finding that it breaks away easy on top layer but then becomes difficult lower down with a sort of deeper harder later which is stubborn. Some of the slab has shingle in which is rock solid. Some is just white, so white that chips of it actually look like plaster of Paris, like white pieces of bone china.

I am also finding that it breaks away easy on top layer but then becomes difficult lower down with a sort of deeper harder later which is stubborn.

Unless you think it was poured in different layers, this can be a result of the upper surface drying out. Concrete only cures (hardens) as long as it is wet, once it dries, it stops and does not restart even if you try to re-wet it.

After a few days it is not very strong, after a month it is much stronger.

Underground concrete, which never dries out, is noticeably very difficult to break.

Lol. Where will he take it?
I believe there are some private recycling businesses which accept things such as hardcore for a fee which can be cheaper than a skip.

We previously had a quote for 2 loads of general waste for £250 at a registered private recycler. That waste in the end we cut down and took to the tip but comparable to a skip I believe some private recycling firms will accept it cheaper.

I mean firms which are registered businesses as recyclers and have a premises such as a yard where the waste goes rather than drop it off with a strange man and ask no questions.

Edit: Don't some tips allow vans in for a commercial fee charged? Where this might be available I assume that in some cases may also be cheaper than a skip at times?

Last edited:
Has he got a waste carrier licence?

Is he going to tip it behind a hedge?

Maybe screed on top of concrete slab.
I think so.

To be honest we probably could have hired the road breaker for this one!

I am finding that with the cement without gravel in it that you can aim the breaker straight down and it comes off in one lump.

When you find sections with gravel you have to aim the breaker inwards towards the base at about 40 degrees to start, otherwise it just constantly slips against the gravel pieces and just breaks small chips off.

I will aim to try the sharp tool on the end on Saturday as today I used the widest chisel type one, the one which is about 4 inches wide.

I am glad I swapped for the heavy duty breaker as my experience with the medium is that because the unit itself is not all that long, that you have to actually bend over the whole time using it on the ground and this starts to hurt pretty quick. The heavy duty is a length which is pretty good for standing up straight ish with a slight bend in the knees.

I believe there are some private recycling businesses which accept things such as hardcore for a fee which can be cheaper than a skip.

We previously had a quote for 2 loads of general waste for £250 at a registered private recycler. That waste in the end we cut down and took to the tip but comparable to a skip I believe some private recycling firms will accept it cheaper.

I mean firms which are registered businesses as recyclers and have a premises such as a yard where the waste goes rather than drop it off with a strange man and ask no questions.

Edit: Don't some tips allow vans in for a commercial fee charged? Where this might be available I assume that in some cases may also be cheaper than a skip at times?
I have never, in all my years of building, found it cheaper to load a van, make a journey, unload a van, make another journey - than it is to have a skip on site. EVER.

OP, would also add, some skip outfits offer cheaper skips for soil and rubble only. Last one I had was around £110 for a builders skip.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back