Old conservatory base built nearly to damp course

Glad to hear you are getting on. I think that the fact you have found its on slabs is a good sign - that is has been done badly so hopfully will not be that hard to remove.
As for disposal I live on a county and city border the county tip as I said charges by the sack but the city do not charge anything. If you have a van they can give you a 5 drop ticket per year or something.
But yes in a car by the time you have made 10 trips scratched /damaged the inside and risked picking up a puncture at the tip its not worth it.
A grabber lorry is a good call, saves you umping it up into a skip. just dump it on your drive.

Dont forget to post some pictures. !!

Sponsored Links
I have never, in all my years of building, found it cheaper to load a van, make a journey, unload a van, make another journey - than it is to have a skip on site. EVER.
The only realistic choice for a builder should be skip or grab lorry.

It might be cheaper for a DIYer to load a van if their Labour is free.

I do know sometimes builders get a skip at their own house and move waste from site simply because of total lack of space.

That's right a builder will always be getting a skip as he is not paying for it - the customer is but DIY the labour is free.
I have seen signs in the past free hardcore tipping I think it is farms using it around cattle fields or something.

That's right a builder will always be getting a skip as he is not paying for it - the customer is

The customer always has to pay for waste removal if he uses a builder, a skip or grab is usually the cheapest method for a builder.

Managing skips on site is quite crucial for a builder - nothing more annoying than having plant on site, Labour on site and a full skip when doing groundwork’s.

Builders love those vague timings skip companies give :ROFLMAO:

Sponsored Links
The customer always has to pay for waste removal if he uses a builder, a skip or grab is usually the cheapest method for a builder.

Managing skips on site is quite crucial for a builder - nothing more annoying than having plant on site, Labour on site and a full skip when doing groundwork’s.

Builders love those vague timings skip companies give :ROFLMAO:
Remember I had some building works done once and the dummies pushed the skip across a little when empty so when full the lorry almost could not get at it to pick it up..

We have a local aggregates company that takes rubble for free. They crush it, sift and re-sell it. All good for everyone.

Hopefully the friend has such a place. Or just has a hole that needs filling. Sometimes it works out, you can cut out the middleman and take it straight from someone who wants rid to someone else who has a use for it.

We have a local aggregates company that takes rubble for free. They crush it, sift and re-sell it. All good for everyone.

Hopefully the friend has such a place. Or just has a hole that needs filling. Sometimes it works out, you can cut out the middleman and take it straight from someone who wants rid to someone else who has a use for it.
How did you find out about the company/where do such companies advertise?

So far after 3 and a half hours yesterday afternoon with the heavy duty breaker.

IMG_20231208_132134_HDR.jpg

Remember I had some building works done once and the dummies pushed the skip across a little when empty so when full the lorry almost could not get at it to pick it up..
Almost?
Such excitement. You should see what the scoundrels do in London.

3.5 hours? Did you have a particularly long lunch break?
Bit harsh imo never done anything like this before or used a breaker I'm unlikely to remove it alone in a day or half a day. The thing is rock solid with shingle and there's already two piles of rubble out of shot so keep having to stop to re shovel bits away.

Laid on paving slabs, and bridging the DPC?

I spy an air brick as well.

A particularly shoddy job.

You might want to dig round drains and gullies to see which are cracked and leaking.

Made more progress on removing the base today.

Switched to the sharp tool (for the heavy duty breaker) and generally it does seem more effective. Although in places the concrete containing shingle is literally so hard that the breaker just drills a deep chisel shaped hole in it without it cracking.

Can anyone advise which bit fitting for the breaker will be best when I get close to the house?

Also could the vibrations of the breaker affect the rear house wall when I get near or will it only impact the concrete slab which the breaker is in contact with?

Have only been up near the house wall in one tiny area so far and to be fair the concrete did seem to just drop away fairly neatly.

I wonder if you can crack it and wedge it up off the paving slabs? A pickaxe could do that, I don't know about your breaker.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back