Olde Worlde

C

calorific

Just reflecting on peterperfect. In the old days, we'd refer to someone as mentally, emotionally and intellectually bereft as him as a "spaz".

Do any of you remember any olde worlde terms of endearment?

Sponsored Links
Another word that sprung to mind when reading some of FMT's posts (it was the pompous aspect of his posting that drew attention to the term of yesteryear) - wassock.

Just reflecting on peterperfect. In the old days, we'd refer to someone as mentally, emotionally and intellectually bereft as him as a "spaz".

Do any of you remember any olde worlde terms of endearment?

For somebody who constantly spouts verbal diarrhea the tried and trusted "gobsh*te" fits peterperfectly.

Sponsored Links
I know some of you don't care and I will probably be told yet again to "get over it", but I find that term offensive.

I know some of you don't care and I will probably be told yet again to "get over it", but I find that term offensive.
I agree. the thread is about olde terms and expressions some of which were of such common usage that they were not fully viewed as so grossly offensive and were also bandered around as a bit of ribbing amongst schoolkids who often didn't bother reflecting on the etymology. Only upon reflection and social changes were some of these terms removed and became (sometimes forcibly) obsolete.

The intention of the thread is not to insult nor to deeply offend by the inclusion of arcane terminology. If it has done so then it is an unintended consequence and I am happy to apologise unreservedly :)

'Flid' was one that was used a lot in my school days, mainly aimed at me, its probably why i remember it

Bokka, for someone who didn't pay much attention to their personal hygiene, again from school days

I'm reading a novel at the moment which is set in the late sixties and amongst the many expletives used in the dialogue, one word keeps cropping up.....Tw*t.

I certainly don't remember this word being used until about 1976 - 77. Does anyone else remember it being used earlier?

'Flid' was one that was used a lot in my school days
Derived from victims of thalidomide morning sickness drug.

Interesting how the 'th' has been replaced with 'f' because youngsters can not pronounce the sound 'th'.

Or adult footballers.

Sponsored Links
Back