Optima XM Alarm won't set

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
During renovation the cabling to one of the PIR's was damaged and unreachable without much further work so I decided to just exclude this room from the alarm system and removed the PIR. It was on zone 1 so I disconnected the wires for the PIR to this zone in the control panel - leaving it empty. When I go to set the alarm now all red lights flash and a continuous loud bleeping which does not stop until I enter the code to turn off the alarm. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply. Yes the other PIRs are illuminating. Do you mean to leave the blue and white wires out of the terminals in the control panel and put in a link between the two empty terminals or put the wires back in and a link? I will check the fuse - though if the other PIR's work I would have thought it would be OK. Will let you know what happens.

if the PIR's are illuminating, then link out the zone that's not being used, a wire link in the zone, you can leave the zone wires in.

may be better to have a picture of what you are seeing as I am not certain I am understanding you completely.

Sponsored Links
Is Zone 1 the entry / exit route? Looking at the installation manual it is, so the exit route is open circuit and will stay unset until closed

if its linked out the system should set.
if it does then you need to sort the PIR out to get it back to how it was (PIR's should not be zone 1 (E/E)) however I believe its a timed exit so its not a big issue other than when you come in after its set the entry timer wont start if you have the zone linked out.

Better still put a door contact on for zone 1.

surprised the plastic hinge hasn't broken off as they tend to go very brittle over time, especially if the box is exposed to sunlight.

Thank you very much ! The link worked and the system will now set. You are quite correct in that zone 1 is a timed exit and on re-entry the entry timer does not start - however I am still protected because when passing into another room with a PIR then the alarm goes off. This is not a problem as I can unset the alarm on entry.
A little bit complicated, but there were two rooms protected on zone 1 which enabled us to set the alarm at night and then give us time to pass through the room and unset the alarm. The damaged PIR was in this room and not on the main entry route into the house so with a bit more fiddling I should be able to restore zone 1 to just the entry route into the house . Even if I can't - the alarm is now workable with other rooms able to be alarmed. Thank you very much for your advice and support. Much appreciated!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back