OUT side Sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an external socket fitted outside by the builders, its a fused 13amp spur with the switch inside the kitchen. I have asked an electrician to give me quote to fit two further sockets around the garden.He said that he will take the feed from the existing socket to connect the 2 new sockets I want.
Firtsly: can a another spur ( 2 in my case) be taken from the original fused spur.
secondly: how can I check if he is part p registered and that whats he's doing meets part p regs
thirdly:eek:ne of ths sockets will be near a flower bed and I will be watering the flowers using a hose pipe, do I need a special socket for this location if so what type of socket?
[/b]

Sponsored Links
firstly - as the spur is a fused one, so the total load cannot exceed 13A plus the tolerance of the fuse, you can have as many outlets on it as you feel like. You will be able to plug lawn mower, strimmer, lights, electric drill on it, but not more than one heavy load like an oven (!) or heater.,

secondly, if you mean is he a member of a self-certification scheme, you can ask him, and which one. If he isn't you will need inspection and approval by the local authority building inspector, which IMNSHO isn't worth the extra trouble and expense when you should be able to find someone else qualified to do the lot himself and provide you with the paperwork.

thirdly, if it is outdoors, you should be using a waterproof socket, with a cover that will seal round an inserted plug. MK and Crabtree do good ones, I'm sure there are others. MK is usually the most expensive.

All outdoor sockets should be protected by an RCD. In your case, either the sockets circuit inside the house, which supplies them, or a combined RCD FCU at the spur supply.

Thanks for your prompt reply... he said he is Part P registered and he will give me a certificate after the job is completed, but I need to make sure that he is registered before I get him to do the job. Will he have a part p registartion number that I can check with someone?

As for the sockets, he said that he will fit waterproof sockets but I just want to make sure that one of them is well protected from the weather and watering..

The better weatherproof sockets look like this:
5d_2.JPG
or
72_2.JPG

Ask if they will be the sort that the lid will seal round an inserted plug
(the others are cheaper and not as good, though smaller, like this)
9e_2.JPG
or
6e_2.JPG

the ones with a built-in RCD are EXTREMELY expensive.

Sorry I don't know the process for checking registration.

Sponsored Links
Could the socket near the flower bed be moved a couple of foot to one side?

Apart from the obvious fact that you could be regularly spraying it with water (which wont cause any damage - providing the cover is closed) any leads you plug in will trail across the flower bed

If you are spraying water directly onto the socket, look for one that is rated as IP65 and (preferably) one that is still IP65 when the plug is in it (some arent) MK Masterseal is probably the best IMHO.

ASk your sparky who he is with. (NICEIC, NAPIT, ECA etc etc). You can then look him up on the organisation's website eg http://www.napitonline.com/fastSearch.asp

Havent been on this forum long, but long enough to see that johnd has a fettish with RCBO's haha.

No, most of my fetishes have women's thighs in them somewhere ;)

But a 20A RCBO for the outside sockets radial... why would anyone do it differently?

You've never heard me go "All my house sockets go off every time it rains, whinge, whinge"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back